The Trade Compliance Senior Analyst is responsible for ensuring compliance of complex cross-border trade activities using substantial trade/compliance knowledge. This includes country and foreign government regulations related to the international movement of goods, with a focus on executing the control framework established by the appropriate functional areas. This individual must be able to communicate effectively, influence, and demonstrate leadership and behaviors that are consistent with Cargill's values and high performance.
30%: Regional Trade Compliance Procedure Development and Maintenance
- Apply and maintain trade compliance operations standards and best practice processes aligned with trade compliance operations strategy to operationalize corporate policies and risk control frameworks to comply with government laws and regulations, including those administered by the participating government agencies.
- Apply and maintain global or regional Global Trade Operations and Compliance (GTOC) standards, procedures, and process documentation to ensure compliance execution.
- Manage customs broker operations relationship, including the use of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and regular internal reports.
- Develop a relationship with governmental entities in cooperation with Global Customs Advisory and appropriate functional areas and brokers, facilitating a free flow of our goods through the borders.
- Provide guidance to the businesses and regional or local team on trade compliance operations requirements and data and documentation to facilitate imports and exports consistent with risk-based guidance from relevant corporate functions.
- Partner with Trade Operations Managers to implement new processes and controls for Trade Operations Team.
- Create and maintain Trade Compliance process standard operating procedures (SOPs) and guidelines.
30%: Program Management, Monitoring, and Training
- Conduct trade compliance operations reviews, post entry transactional testing, and/or pre/post transactional process audits to ensure data integrity, adherence to processes, control structure and overall compliance performance. Implement corrective actions and process improvements as needed.
- Ensures compliance with recordkeeping requirements and internal policies.
- Develop and conduct regular import and export compliance training for GTOC Operations Teams, and business and function stakeholders involved in import and export activities in accordance with the respective functional Centers of Expertise (COEs).
- Lead and participate in projects and initiatives.
- Support and monitor new or changing trade flow reviews.
- Support risk assessments, ruling application, government audits/escalations, and voluntary disclosures.
- Where applicable, deliver value through providing transparency of data and consistency in process to enable enhanced duty reduction programs such as duty drawback and participation in global or regional free trade agreements.
- Partner with the business to understand their supply chains and with Global Customs Advisory Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for regulatory inputs to develop the business cases and propose solutions.
- Monitor effectiveness of compliance processes and controls and escalate as appropriate.
20%: Client Interaction and Business Partnership
- Understand business requirements to implement trade compliance operations strategy.
- Coordinate the regional trade compliance efforts in support of business, enterprise and functional business plans in the region.
- Provide assurance of achievement of control for trade compliance operations for the region, including monitoring of adherence to trade compliance procedures, collection of trade data, and the compilation of KPIs.
- Work closely with cross-functional commercial management, sales, and customers to develop cross-border solutions.
- Serve as SME on global or regional trade import and export operations.
- Partner with Cargill Business Services (CBS) Centralized Processes Team to ensure compliance and efficiency on processes and serves as an escalation point to resolve compliance process issues.
- Serve as the liaison between the Operations Team and Global Customs Advisory Teams to escalate compliance requests and receive guidance on new and changing regulations to implement changes in processes and controls.
20%: Data Management/Analysis and Reporting
- Provide data requirements and translate trade compliance needs to data and technology teams.
- Support the creation of monthly reports related to trade compliance operations and submit to the appropriate function or entity.
- Monitor and provide quarterly, bi-weekly and/or monthly metrics and reports.
- Analyze risk trends based on audits and recommend risk mitigation solutions.
- Lead and support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years’ experience in international trade regulations and requirements
- Advanced knowledge on US customs and other agency regulations
- Experience developing and supporting compliance programs and processes
- Knowledge and experience of North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) applications
- Advanced knowledge of Incoterms
- Experience analyzing data and managing reports/metrics
- Customer focus skills and strong relationship builder
- Ability to manage conflicts and ambiguous situations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must demonstrate initiative, time management, and organization skills
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Ability to adapt to various scenarios of situations and people, including cross-cultural understanding
- Ability to travel up to 15%
5+ years’ experience in the area of US customs; experience in both US & Canada customs is preferred
- Financial acumen
- SAP/GTS knowledge
- Indirect tax knowledge and understanding, such as GST/VAT
- Licensed US Customs Broker
- Knowledge/experience in international supply chain