The stability and success of HR Green is not possible without a great team in place making everything work for our clients.
As part of our national firm, you will be exposed and expected to help be a part of the Iowa Transportation team focused on our Traffic related work which includes analysis, design plans, studies, and modeling. This opportunity will allow you to develop your Traffic engineering skills along with learning and developing in all aspects of projects and enhancing your skill set and career goals. This position will be located in either our Des Moines, IA or our St. Louis, MO office.
You will have the ability to team and work on projects with large and small clients. You will be part of a small team that is growing and be able to have a large impact in a short period of time.
Are you a recent or upcoming graduate and looking for your first opportunity in Traffic/ Transportation? Are you an EIT engineer looking for a new challenge and ability to grow your career quicker? Do you have experience and passion for Transportation focused on Traffic related work? If so, apply now and lets get the conversation started!
Our comprehensive benefits program covers what you need: health/dental/vision insurance, 401K with company match, Paid Time Off, AND what you want: Educational Assistance, annual paid volunteering time, work-life balance scheduling options, and fitness program reimbursements. Professional development is woven into the fabric of HR Green as we offer flexible career path options, in-house training programs, and incentives for professional registrations and public speaking.
HR Green is proud to be an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please see below for a more detailed job description
The Staff Engineer is responsible for completing assigned tasks under the supervision of the Team Leader, Project Manager or more experienced engineers. This Staff Engineer is expected to apply the concepts learned through required education and prior professional experience to solve engineering tasks as assigned. Provides guidance and may direct the activities of non-exempt staff in completion of assigned work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs portions of a project using relevant office software, modeling, GIS, and CADD technology.
- Completes calculations using engineering formulas and skills and/or utilizes computers in order to solve problems.
- Prepares specification materials through the use of research and manufacturing catalogs to specify materials, installation, inspection and payment of items specific to a project.
- Works with CADD Technicians in order to complete design details and plan sets.
- Assists in the preparation of engineering and construction cost estimates.
- Completes field observation, inspection and data collection duties as directed by senior engineering staff.
- Communicates with client staff and internal design team as directed by senior engineering staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Must possess a bachelor’s (B.S.) or master’s degree (M.S.) in Civil Engineering from an accredited four-year or graduate engineering university. Masters degree preferred with an emphasis on Traffic but not required.
- Must have the desire to work on the traffic including analysis and modeling.
- 0-2 plus years of related engineering experience is required. 1-2 years of related engineering experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of office software (Word, Excel, etc.), CADD software and other engineering automation tools is required.
- Knowledge of DOT standards and procedures is desired.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
Must have received, or receive within six months of hire, a valid E.I.T. license. The employee must also be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
Must possess strong technical verbal and writing skills. Must be able to read and interpret technical literature and engineering plans.
Must be capable of correctly operating technical analysis equipment and computer equipment after being provided training. Must possess analytical and problem solving skills, and be able to apply engineering knowledge toward solving assigned tasks and engineering activities. Must be willing to develop competence in field inspection issues including daily progress documentation, measurement of quantities, quality assurance and contractor relationships.
Relationship to Others
The position reports directly to the Group Manager with the day-to-day direction of Project Engineers, Project Managers or other staff for assigned projects. Works independently to quickly and accurately solve assigned tasks, but is expected to seek guidance from senior engineering staff. Has limited contact with external clients unless assigned to do so by senior engineering staff. May direct the activities of CADD and Field Technicians in the completion of assigned tasks. Responsible for providing mentoring to less-experienced staff members in order to upgrade the overall talent level in the company and shows a willingness to help others meet critical deadlines.
Work is primarily performed in the office with occasional trips to a client’s site or other locations as needed. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for prolonged period of time, stand, walk, talk, hear, and reach with hands or arms. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other office equipment. The employee is also required to kneel, crouch, and bend. Must be capable of carrying up to 30 pounds of equipment over all types of terrain and in all types of weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.