The City of Eugene Public Works is pleased to invite applications for the position of Traffic Operations Manager.
This is a position with purpose.
We are looking for an engineer to manage our Traffic Operations work team. An experienced engineer and manager that is passionate about transportation and shares our community values around providing a safe multi-modal transportation system that supports a healthy and thriving community.
This is a leadership position in our community. Establishing trust and confidence with City staff, partners and community members will be key to the success of the person in this position.
The successful applicant leads, and is supported by, a high performing Traffic Operations team that includes maintenance and operations of traffic signals, street lights, signs and markings as well as system safety and capacity analysis and monitoring.
The Traffic Operations Manager will be guided by the goals and policies of the City. We are a Vision Zero City and are working towards adoption of our Vision Zero Action Plan to eliminate transportation related deaths and serious injuries by 2035. We have a City Council adopted Climate Recovery Ordinance that seeks to reduce community fossil fuel use by 50% by 2030. A key strategy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation is to triple walking, biking and transit use. These aggressive goals align with our City's Envision Eugene Plan to support our City's growth over the next 20 years by fostering a walkable human scale City with ready access to transit.
The Traffic Operations Manager will lead a team that is:
- Robustly analyzing crash data to prioritize and analyze corridors and intersections identified in on our Vision Zero High Injury Crash network for safety improvements.
- Updating traffic signal controller and communications technology to improve safety for all users and to support traffic flow at safe speeds as well as prepare for future technologies such as connected and autonomous vehicles
- Implementing tactical changes to streets through lower-cost materials such as striping and signage.
- Actively collaborating with public works transportation planning, capital project teams and maintenance staff to design and construct transportation facilities that meet our Transportation System Plan goals, are safe and easy to maintain.
- Maintaining and operating our City's traffic signals, street lighting, signs and markings infrastructure with integrity and stewardship.
- The Traffic Operations Manager will participate on teams that are:
- Updating our street designs standards in order to provide a transportation system that is built for people and aligns with our Vision Zero and active transportation goals.
- Developing a strategy for autonomous and electric vehicles that will update our Transportation System Plan.
- Developing design standards for protected bike facilities and specifically detailed designs for three funded protected bike lane projects in the next three years.
- Planning for a downtown that is connected and intentional in its use of street and sidewalk space in an era of increasing demands.
- Working as the management team for the Public Works Maintenance Division to collaboratively move strategic actions forward.
- Working collaboratively across divisions to increase the safety of our transportation and meet our Vision Zero goals.
This position reports directly to the Maintenance Division Director, and helps coordinate transportation activities with other regional, state and local planning agencies. The Traffic Operations Manager may prepare for and present at meetings before City Council, various commissions, and the general public.
Open until filled. Next review of applications - December 20, 2019
Accepting On-Line Applications Only.
Accepting On-Line Applications Only.
To be considered for this position you must submit a cover letter and resume.
"Making lives better through the services we provide each day!"
Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Agency: Public Works Department