ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Monitor and consistently enforce company policies, procedures and safe work practices.
- Assist in the accident/ injury review investigations/ review board, and safety committee.
- Re-train and coach the High Risk Employees / Repeaters, ensuring aggressive, constructive intervention with employees immediately following any safety incident and/or negative observation(s).
- Correcting unsafe acts/conditions as identified by incident analysis and/or unannounced observations.
- Assure that all drivers have the required safety training to complement their current work assignment.
- Conduct pre-employment DOT driver road tests.
- Trains, coach, assess and certify new and existing drivers on the proper use and operation of applicable tools, equipment, fundamentals of delivery, paperwork, CDL and DOT regulations, log books, hours of service, DVIR, coupling / uncoupling, backing up, safety, customer service and other company policies and procedures.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of pre and post trip reviews of new hires.
- Conduct ride-alongs with new and existing drivers to develop / improve defensive driving skill
- Conduct paper work checks to audit proper DOT documentation and SOX compliance.
- Champion Driver Retention Initiatives
- Drive company vehicles & deliver products during slow periods or emergency circumstances
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
- Ensure application of safety, accident-prevention standards, methods, and procedures in accordance with OSHA and DOT regulations
- Provide excellent customer service through a well-organized and efficient transportation department.
- Collaborate with Core-Mark counterparts to develop and implement world class transportation infrastructure and process guidelines.
- Maintain a safe and healthful working environment by promoting and managing safety at all levels of the operation
- Provide effective leadership and conduct performance management to foster professional growth of department personnel
- Support and encourage open door policy to ensure open lines of communication with employees responding to employees needs in a timely and effective manner.
- Participate in the overall transportation operation to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local, and company regulations; including, but not limited to, DOT, OSHA, food safety, and Company Standards
- Participate in the selection, hiring, discipline and termination of department personnel
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience in a transportation environment
- Experience in a distribution / warehouse environment a plus
- Working knowledge of DOT regulations, Current Class A license and medical card preferred
- Knowledge of on-board computers a plus
- Intermediate level Microsoft Office expertise required; warehouse management system experience preferred
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Ability to use critical thinking skills to analyze situations and drive decisions
- High school graduate degree required with 2 years higher education or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Demonstrable experience successfully transforming a functional organization and working across functional areas.
- Past experience as a driver trainer, preferred
- Passion for Safety, Integrity, and Energy are characteristics that are a must.
- The ability to work various times during the day/night and various days of the week as required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Commercial Driver’s License
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 70-pounds. Pushing/Pulling hand truck with up to push up to 100+lbs when delivering product into customer locations. Lift and Stacking empty totes and crates into delivery truck – lifting and carry up to 15-20lbs. Walking while pushing hand truck with product up to 6 hours. Lifting and Stacking Product on hand truck (bending at waist up to 60 degree and twisting upper body). Holding/Grasping Grip when handling boxes, totes and crates (Repetitive Use of Hands & Extended Reaching). Standing while loading/stacking product on dolly (Standing up to 1-2 hours). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70-pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Travel: Occasional overnight trips to domiciles
- Work Hours/ Shifts: Ability to work varied schedule when necessary to accomplish the job.
- Equipment Used: Daily use of computer and use of other networking devices.
Detail Oriented:Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Team Player:Works well as a member of a group
Goal Completion:Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks