Tutor - Nursing - Part Time - MAL0001372
Duties and Responsibilities
NURSING TUTOR - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
A Tutor provides students with tutoring and instructional support in an academic or occupational area of study to help improve their academic capabilities and progress academically, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. Tutors assist tutees in developing and improving their competency in course work; and help students integrate and apply effective study skills, active reading and note-taking, test-taking strategies, and time management and organizational skills to their specific courses. Tutors also work inside the classroom as embedded tutors; tutor students in math and writing labs; and provide on-line tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning courses. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance to assigned tutees, either in a group or individually.
- Establishes liaison with the instructor and works under the instructor’s direction to assist the student.
- Attends periodic training sessions given by staff members to increase competency in working with students.
- Maintains records on each student who is being tutored, including follow-up and periodic assessment.
- Schedules tutoring appointments. Provides evaluations and other reports as required by staff.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes toward learning and studying and helps students develop a high level of motivation in academic areas.
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Helps students develop the study skills necessary for academic success.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with the assigned students.
- Assists in designing and implementing class cooperative projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in higher in a field of study and subject area related to the subject(s) being tutored, OR similar technical certifications and training.
- Specific additional requirements or certifications may be required depending on the assignment area.
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred.
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the post secondary instructional level is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
Primary Location: Malcolm X College
Employee Type: Part Time | Regular
Union Code: 1600PTPROF