Under the direction of the Assistant Director, Director of Radiology Services and Section Supervisors, performs a wide variety of sonographic procedures and complex duties requiring a high degree of accuracy with latitude for independent initiative and judgment. Promotes, follows, and adheres to the values set by AVH. Provides technical assistance in planning, organizing, and controlling the work flow in order to accomplish the objectives of our department. Delivery of quality customer services which meets or exceeds the expectations to patients, physicians, physician office staff and visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Ultrasound Technologist
- Performs various ultrasound exams, including abdomen, OB/GYN, endovaginal, small parts, cranials, vascular and Doppler.
- Knows current technique for each specific exam.
- Assist physicians with procedures.
- Identifies pathology.
- Evaluates images for diagnostic content.
- Knows and identifies cross-sectional anatomy.
- Responsible for the completion of all procedures.
- Routinely prepares exams for interpretation by the radiologists.
- Localizes sites for other procedures.
- Operates and moves the portable equipment.
- Works on an on-call basis.
- Orders supplies.
- Correlates ultrasound exams with other exams.
- Trouble-shoots equipment problems.
- Contacts services for repairs.
- Participates in age-specific educational training programs.
- Demonstrates proficiency in required age-specific competencies.
- Fills out worksheets for vascular exams.
- Writes technical notes to assist the radiologist
- Answers telephones.
- Prioritizes exams.
- Transports patients as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of cross-sectional anatomy
- Knowledge of sonographic positioning and techniques
- Demonstrates knowledge regarding special needs and behaviors of age-specific groups.
- Skilled in the operation of PACS and IDX applications
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and customer focus
- Ability to demonstrates knowledge and understanding of: duty to report behavior standard,
- purpose of the Corporate Compliance hotline and importance of seeking guidance from a supervisor when in doubt regarding a possible corporate compliance issue.
- Ability to evaluate sonograms for technical excellence.
- Ability to operate all ultrasound equipment.
- Ability to meet Joint Commission standards for cleaning endovagianal transducers.
- Ability to assess lab values for procedures
- Ability to recognize and report equipment failure.
- Ability to monitor patient’s oxygen
Core Competencies: All AVH employees will effectively demonstrate these behaviors:
Ethics & Values
Integrity & Trust
Education and Experience:
- Graduated from a 2-year accredited ultrasound school.
- 2 years hospital experience preferred
Required Licensure and/or Certifications:
- Current CPR certification.
AVH Conduct/Compliance Expectations:
- Ability to adhere with AVH Absenteeism and Tardiness Policy
- Ability to adhere with AVH Leaves of Absence Policy
- Ability to adhere with AVH Paid Time Off (PTO) Policy
- Ability to adhere with AVH Recording of Hours Worked Policy
- Ability to adhere to the department dress code
- Ability to organize work and establish priorities
- Ability to expand on own initiative in performance of duties
- Skill and ability to follow the telephone etiquette/standards
- Conforms to AVH Standards of Excellence
- Ability to function effectively under pressure and meet time parameters
- Ability to communicate effectively while maintaining good working relationships with co-workers, managers and other hospital staff
- Ability to adhere to the normal standards of courtesy and conduct as defined under the rules of hospitality at AVH
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of patient, hospital and department information
- Ability to adhere to safety rules and regulations
- Safely and effectively uses all equipment necessary to carry out duties
- Ability to interpret and function under hospital and department policies and procedures
- Conforms with required and appropriate JCAHO requirements
- Conforms with and supports hospital quality assurance and improvement guidelines
- Ability to participate effectively in department and hospital staff education
- Display a willingness to work as a team player
- Ability to give and support the highest level of patient/customer satisfaction at all times
- Supports and adheres to the values and mission statement established by the AVH Board of Directors
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the Compliance & Integrity Program and its requirements; complies with duty to report behavior standard; demonstrates understanding of purpose for a Compliance hotline and the importance of seeking guidance from a supervisor or the Compliance Officer when in doubt regarding a possible compliance issue
- Ability to follow the Code of Business Conduct (Standards of Business Ethics and Integrity)
Key Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Work performed in confined areas with dim lighting.
- Repetitive motion required.
- High volume can be stressful.
- Occasional stooping, stretching and lifting of objects up to 50 lbs.
A detailed description of the physical requirements of this job is maintained in the Employee Health Department.