Title Underground Operator
FLSA Status Non-Exempt
Reports to Field Supervisor
Revision Date 8-17-2017
Summary / Objective
This position performs required tasks for the underground installation of conduit, fiber optic, and coaxial fiber by trenching, pulling, and drilling.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Load and unload underground equipment on and off of trailer's in a safe way
- Transport associated tools, materials and/or equipment in a safe manner
- Complete a daily inspection on all vehicles and equipment to ensure they are in working condition
- Operate a skid steer, mini excavator, jack hammer, hand tools, and other various pieces of equipment
- Responsible for locating cables and verification in accordance with blueprints
- Identifies utilities in the construction area
- Connect/stub-up conduit and wire
- Dig pits, trenches or potholes as required including windows when crossing utilities
- Restores and/or landscapes disturbed areas of the jobsite
- Accurately complete all required company documentation for each assignment according to established company standards and procedures (i.e. timesheet, vehicle log, expense report)
- Adhere to all established company safety policies and perform work in a safe manner
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned in order to help team complete a project
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret engineering/construction prints, plans and specifications
- Knowledge of utility depths and placements
- Possess general knowledge of construction practices
- Ability to work in various environments/settings with moderate to loud noise levels
- Ability to work in trenches, manholes and tunnels
- Must have attention to detail and be thorough in completing work tasks
- Ability to work efficiently, independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Ability to move materials/equipment weighing up to 80 pounds
- Able to work 10+ hours in a day when necessary
- Willing to work outside in varying weather conditions
- Weekly travel is required for this position. Company will pay hotel expenses (shared room) and per diem
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum one (1) year experience of operating equipment or manual labor
- High School diploma or equivalent
Preferred Education and Experience
- Two (2) years' of experience operating equipment or manual labor
- Class A CDL
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Ability to pass a criminal background screen
- Valid driver's license with a clean driving record (three year history)
- Pre-employment drug test
- DOT physical
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position typically requires: balancing, standing, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, grasping, reaching, stooping, squatting, kneeling, climbing, hearing, and talking.
Outside work: Exposure to varying weather conditions.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.