Are you looking for an adventure and the opportunity to start an exciting career? Do you have a college degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business Administration? If so, CNA could have the perfect opportunity for you as a Surety Underwriting Trainee! The role is part of our trainee program and will be located in our Sioux Falls, SD office.
The trainee program is for 1 year and upon successful completion of the program individuals will be promoted to an Underwriter. CNA Surety provides a full range of surety and fidelity bonds in all 50 states.
Primarily responsible for learning underwriting principles and standards for CNA Surety Small Commercial Underwriting. Under close supervision, learns underwriting practices by participating in formal or on-the-job training for a specified period of time. Trainee should develop aptitude on the following:
1. Reviews bond applications and financial documentation to determine if the applicant is an acceptable risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards. Determines the need for additional evidence of financial standing and appropriate strategy.
2. Recommends risks after complete analysis and consideration of applicant documentation, business factors and competitive situations.
3. Prepares written communications on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations.
4. May assist in marketing products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community. Develops and maintains positive agency and/or broker relationships to ensure positive outcomes.
5. Performs other essential duties as assigned.
1. Strong desire to develop knowledge and understanding of underwriting practices, policies and guidelines.
2. Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to develop positive business relationships.
3. Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly and adapt quickly to change.
4. Ability to work independently.
5. Development of decision-making skills.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent experience.
2. Based on product line, successful completion of required exams or work towards certification may be required.
CNA Surety is known for its expert underwriting, solid financial strength, market leadership and creative solutions to all bonding requirements. Through a combined network of approximately 34,000 independent agents, the company has the capability to serve a full range of bonding needs, from the smallest commercial bonds to multi-million dollar contract bonds. With a highly diverse product line, one of the broadest underwriting capabilities in the industry, and an unparalleled distribution system, CNA Surety ranks as one of the largest surety companies in the United States. CNA is among the top 10 insurance groups in the country.