What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:The Underwriting Support Team provides a dedicated support service to the business. Our primary focus is to provide a timely and high quality service to the underwriting divisions in Markel, managing and processing written inwards risk information.
Markel Canada Limited is an insurance company established in 1966, with Canadian offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. We pride ourselves on being a leader in liability with sector specialties. Our educated underwriters work with clients to offer optimal risk management solutions, and our dedicated claims team ensure each claim is handled promptly, professionally and fairly.
Our parent company, Markel International, is a subsidiary of Markel Corporation (NYSE- MKL), a US-based holding company for insurance and investment operations with over 60 offices in 20+ countries around the world.
Find out more by visiting our websites:
Duties and Accountabilities
- Interact with Underwriters to acquire underwriting basics and implement knowledge.
- Responsible for handling any broker requests involving policies, endorsements, billing, etc, and monitoring to completion.
- Liaise with Underwriters and the TA Pool to problem solve and service risks as required.
- Keep up to date and maintain good insurance (insert appropriate product/line of business) industry knowledge.
- Clerical administration and support to Underwriters and to underwrite smaller risks under supervision.
- Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone, answering or referring inquiries and provides administrative support.
- Type of support includes:
- Monitoring visitor access and maintaining security awareness
- Receiving, sorting and delivering mail
- Liaising with building management for maintenance issues
- Monitoring and maintaining office equipment
- Ordering general office supplies for staff
- Arranging delivery and pick-up of off-site storage
- Entering new business into SCS system
- Creating and sending out renewal letters /application forms to brokers
- Scanning and logging financing documents to appropriate policies
- Second level support to Administrative Assistant (booking travel, meetings, catering, etc. as requested)
- Attend to lunch room empty & reload dishwasher, refill coffee supplies and orders
- A minimum of 1-2 years of reception and/or insurance experience.
- Good administrative skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment depending on the situation;
- Comfort in working in a deadline oriented atmosphere;
- Where applicable, strong knowledge (oral & written) of the French / English language
- Post-Secondary, College or University Degree, or equivalent work experience required.
- Initiative to work towards industry-related courses would be considered an asset.
- Goal-oriented and self-motivated with a proven track record in meeting/exceeding expectations.
How to Apply
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you.
For application information please visit www.markelinternational.com/top/careers
Markel Canada is committed to a barrier free work environment and to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. The Company will work with all potential candidates during the screening and interview process to meet any specific needs.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.