Proudly serving the residents of Pittsburgh’s western suburbs for more than 100 years.
Today, it is Ohio Valley Hospital’s mission to provide programs and services that improve the quality of life of community members across our service area. Our staff and administration strive to provide caring, cost-effective, and friendly health care. We view safety and quality as top priorities — while also encouraging innovative and creative approaches to improving patient outcomes.
Great career opportunities are waiting for you at Ohio Valley Hospital.
Our mission of quality, personalized health care for every patient is not the only outstanding benefit we bring to our community. There are lots of great jobs here too. Challenging, important work. Rewarding careers for those willing to dedicate themselves to providing health care and other crucial assistance to our patients.
Currently Ohio Valley Hospital is recruiting Unit Secretaries in the following departments: Med Surg, IMC, and Geropsych.
The Unit Secretary will provide clerical services to the patient care units under the direction of the Charge Nurse and /or Director as well as maintaining the clinical records in compliance with hospital policy. The Unit Secretary shall also be responsible for maintaining an effective flow of communication to the nursing unit.
ESSENTIAL BEHAVIORS RESPONSIBILITIES
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for the correct transcription of orders. Transcribe orders to include calling consults and notifying staff of pending orders.
- Filing of reports on the medical record.
- Answer patient calls from the Call Light System (per script) located at the Nurses Station (within two minutes of signal) and alert the appropriate staff of the patient’s need(s).
- Promptly answer the telephone. (per script) Communicate in a verbal and written manner which is clear, concise, and grammatically correct.
- Perform record keeping and data entry as directed by the Director or resource nurse.
- Contribute to the development of improved efficiency and productivity of the unit.
ADDITIONAL JOB RESPONSBILITIES
- Maintain good communications. Politely answers the phone, take and deliver verbal or telephone messages in a timely manner. Will follow script.
- Maintain direct communication with the resource nurse.
- Photocopy materials as needed or directed.
- Check oxygen tanks and ensure proper amount located on each unit.
- Check supply room/clean utility room daily and ensure room it is in a state of readiness; order supplies from storeroom as needed.
- Audit charts to ensure proper documentation is in place, such as, clothing list complete, advance directive, IMM, H&P, etc.
- Contact maintenance with any issues needing addressed, such as lights, equipment malfunction, etc.
- Maintain and update On-Call book.
- Ensure that equipment such as copiers and printers are kept supplied with paper and toner; order paper and replacement toner as needed.
- Maintain bulletin boards on each unit.
- Ensure all forms are up-to-date and stocked on unit.
- Update unit logs, VTE, restraint, etc.
- Assemble a chart upon admission and continue maintenance of the chart throughout
- patient stay.
- Organize chart at discharge and check chart for incomplete charting and face sheets.
- Restock charts daily.
- Discontinue equipment when patients are discharged or when equipment is no longer needed.
- Send proper patient discharge notification to the appropriate departments.
- Maintain down time packets for use in emergency situation when computer system down.
- Process required volume of work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Adheres to all hospital and department policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Certification and Licensure
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
Work Related Experience
- One (1) year experience as unit clerk or related field preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Technical Skills & Abilities: Must have basic computer skills with the ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel.
Communication Skills & Abilities: Excellent reading, writing and communication skills are necessary. Must have good guest relations skills
Other Skills & Abilities: Knowledge of medical terminology and the ability to collect statistical data, typing, filing, photocopying etc. required.