The Unit Secretary provides administrative and clerical support to the Director and Assistant Director of Nursing, and the Skilled Nursing department.
- Prepare paperwork to send with patients going to physician office or clinic visits.
- Schedules resident appointments and arranges transportation.
- Prepares and prints CNA assignment and sign-in sheets.
- Programs CNA pocket pagers in Nurse Call system for each shift, and uses Nurse Call system to page CNAs, as needed, to provide care.
- Maintains the health information service for the nursing station and ensures it is kept private and confidential in accordance with current laws and regulations.
- Prepares the charts and ID bands for new admissions.
- Assists with discharge paperwork for discharging residents, as requested.
- Monitors timeliness of physician admission and routine monthly visits in conjunction with the director.
- Assists Medical Records Director to maintain the in-house chart appearance and organization.
- Assists Medical Records to assure that physician reports and/or test results are received.
- Assists Medical Records Director with audits including MARS, TARS and CNA flow sheets for accuracy and completeness.
- Completes administrative support duties for the nurses� station, including filing, stocking supplies, preparing charts, and maintaining station lists. Maintains an organized nurses� station.
- Monitors fax machine for lab, pharmacy, or x-ray reports; and gives reports to licensed nursing staff.
- Provides coverage at the reception desk on a scheduled and/or as needed basis.
- Exhibits excellent customer service and tact when dealing with physicians, residents, and families.
- Previous experience in a skilled nursing facility as a unit secretary
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Basic computer knowledge and typing/data entry skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills and telephone etiquette
- Must be able to concentrate with frequent interruptions
- High school graduate, or equivalent