Fusco Personnel is currently searching for a University Auditor/Certified Public Accountant for The State University of New York. This position is located at the System headquarters in Albany, New York. The University Auditor will report to the Audit Committee of the State University of New York and administratively to the Senior Vice Chancellor for Finance and Chief Financial Officer. With 64 college and university campuses located within 30 miles of every home, school, and business in the state, SUNY is the nation’s largest comprehensive system of public higher education. It serves more than 1.3 million students annually, employs more than 90,000 faculty and staff, and connects more than 3 million alumni around the world.
The University Auditor directs and participates in the internal audit function. Develops and recommends internal audit policies; prepares an internal audit program and internal control questionnaires to implement established policies; formulates plans for periodic audits of all major activities within the university; coordinates the internal audit program of the campuses and the Research Foundation with the university audit plan; assigns work to staff members; reviews audit work and reports prepared by Internal audit staff; conducts special studies as required by the Audit Committee and management; reviews audit reports prepared by the Office of the State Comptroller, coordinates university responses, and follows up to ensure that appropriate action is taken.
The University Auditor will work closely with the Audit Committee, Chancellor, System Administration Officers, Assistant University Auditors, Campus Internal Auditors, Research Foundation Auditors, State and Federal Agencies, Association of Colleges and University Auditors, miscellaneous professional peer organizations, and external auditors.
In addition, the University Auditor supervises an office consisting of Assistant University Auditors, Audit Managers, Senior Auditors, Internal Auditors, Interns and will have oversight for Campus Internal Auditors.
Education: Bachelor's degree required in accounting or related field and license as a certified public accountant. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: 10 years relevant experience at a high level, with significant audit management experience. Supervisory experience.
Skills: Strong oral and written communication skills. Must demonstrate the highest level of integrity and honesty. Proficient in Microsoft Office and other relevant technology platforms.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent fringe benefits
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops a flexible annual audit plan using appropriate risk based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by the Audit Committee and management. Additionally aligns to this plan, the audit plans of the Campuses and Research Foundation. Submits that plan to the audit committee for review and approval.
- Implements the annual audit plan, as approved, including, and as appropriate, any special tasks or projects requested by the Audit Committee and management.
- Oversees internal audits of University and campus operations including financial and compliance audits. Each audit assignment requires the establishment of audit objectives, audit plans, audit programs, timelines, and
- Manages professional audit staff and student interns in the Office of the University Auditor and aligns the audit activities with the internal audit units at the campuses and Research Foundation.
- Ensures audit staff and resources are sufficient and have the knowledge, skills, experience, and professional certifications needed to meet the requirements of the Audit Committee Charter.
- Leads the activities of the department to ensure that all work is performed independently without bias, with due diligence and timeliness, with adequate support for appropriate findings and recommendations. Communicates the results with written comprehensive reports and oral presentations to the Audit Committee and other relevant constituents.
- Establishes policies governing University auditing activities and setting audit priorities, making assignments, and coordinating functions to ensure audit activities are in compliance with professional standards (Institute of Internal Auditing) and also correspond with the priorities of the University. Keeps apprised and informs on emerging trends and successful practices in internal auditing.
- Develops and presents audit related information for University constituents including the chief business officers, audit, finance, and business operations staff on auditing and accounting topics such as audit protocol and results, internal controls and risk management, and best practices. Enhances communication between the University Auditor and Controller’s Office and the Campuses, Colleges, Research Foundation and related entities. Coordinates regular meetings with Internal Audit Directors.
- Conducts audits to ensure internal controls are adequate, laws and regulations are complied with, assets are safeguarded, and reported data are accurate and
- Coordinates external audits of the University including those by the Office of the State Comptroller, the State’s Single Auditors, and independent CPAs; assists the auditors in completing their work; and coordinates the University's response to the
- Meets regularly with the Office of the State Comptroller Expenditure Unit to improve communication and coordination.
- Coordinates and facilitates the meetings of the SUNY Audit Committee. Works directly with the Audit Committee chair to establish the agenda and preparation of the materials. This includes ensuring the discussion topics address current items such as ethics, information technology controls, audit committee charter, risk assessment, and others.
- Advises the Audit Committee and senior management on matters related to internal controls, business practices, budgeting, accounting, and
- Maintaining the University's fraud and irregularities hotline and administering the process to track and follow up on the complaints. This includes chairing the Fraud Investigations Committee and working closely with the New York State Inspector General’s Office, University Counsel, the University's Compliance Officer, the University's Internal Control Officer, Human Resources, and University Police.
- Participates on various task forces, committees, and work groups such as the Enterprise Risk Management Committee.
- Collects annual conflict of interest reports from campus-related foundations and reports results to the Audit Committee.
- Travel throughout New York State.
Fusco Personnel takes great pride in successfully matching talent and culture for our valued clients. We accomplish this through the hard work and expertise of our exemplary specialty recruiters and staff.
Fusco Personnel is a NYS Certified Women Business Enterprise (WBE) and an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity, Race/Gender/Veterans/Disability Employer
State University of New York System Administration is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, or retaliation.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org