The Sales Tax Associate is responsible for filing the monthly sales tax returns for UPS Oasis Supply Corporation. He/She tracks sales tax law changes that impact UPS. This position monitors state regulations to ensure the company is in compliance with state laws.
The Sales Tax Associate reviews taxability transaction categories to determine proper tax treatment. He/She completes tax adjustments to ensure accurate reporting on tax returns. This position balances and finalizes tax return information to ensure accurate tax rates are utilized. The Sales Tax Specialist prepares tax returns to submit to the tax authorities. This position prepares payment requests to generate tax check/s or initiate electronic funds transfer for tax payment.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Analyzes the tax matrix to ensure the matrix aligns with tax regulations.
- Reviews product item numbers to ensure proper tax codes are assigned to the items.
- Researches product codes to determine tax exemptions and credits.
- Corresponds with customers and vendors to resolve questions concerning tax treatment of invoices.
- Communicates with vendors to ensure UPS Oasis billing is accurate.
- Responds to assessment notices to resolve tax filing issues.
- Prepares refund applications to request tax refunds and monitors the status of the refund.
- Audits the initial sales and uses tax audit exceptions to identify the correct tax treatment, including identifying and providing the necessary supporting documentation.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of accounting theory and principles.
- Demonstrates an understanding of basic financial terminology and concepts such as cash flows, operating profit/loss, and net income; conducts financial analyses.
- Demonstrates a basic understanding of the functions, regulations, and procedures of compliance agencies or governing bodies; takes a leadership position in programs that reduce risk and enhance safety.
- Demonstrates a general knowledge of techniques for soliciting and gathering information.
- Bachelor's Degree (or internationally comparable degree) – Preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree (or internationally comparable degree) – Accounting, Finance, or related field – Preferred
- Experience researching state tax laws and regulations – Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law