The Senior Operations Research Analyst B researches, develops, and implements O.R. applications for UPS. He/she identifies operations enhancement opportunities and ensures the success and relevance of O.R. projects. This position enhances Industrial Engineering software tools and provides data and progress report on projects for senior managers. He/she researches state-of the-art techniques in operations and algorithms and analyses current processes for UPS operations. This position may manage supervisors. The Senior Operations Research Analyst B reports to the manager or the staff manager.
The Senior Operations Research Analyst B analyzes, evaluates, and supports existing optimization models. He/She researches, designs and develops integrated solutions to business problems. This position obtains and shares knowledge on new operations research techniques, as well as provides ad hoc analyses for UPS business problems.
- Determines if model changes are necessary to make the tool produce desired results.
- Reviews results with work groups to ensure the results are acceptable.
- Defines how models should be incorporated into UPS systems.
- Confers with the software development groups to establish requirements and obtain test data.
- Interacts with O.R. faculty in universities and reads journals and technical papers to ensure awareness of current research work.
- Visits UPS operational facilities to observe and increase knowledge of UPS Operations.
- Tests solution methods to ensure accuracy.
- Creates prototype models for testing and evaluation.
- Conducts Research: Uses the research problem to guide relevant data gathering and benchmarking; develops a working knowledge of literature related to the research problem; minimizes personal biases that may impact the research process or outcomes; gathers data that represent all sides of the business case.
- Designs/Develops Integrated Solutions to Business Problems: Demonstrates a broad understanding of business requirements or critical elements of a problem; identifies the impact of a problem on multiple areas of the business; recommends improvements to existing processes or programs.
- Small Package Operations Knowledge: Demonstrates a detailed understanding of processes, procedures, and methods within small package operations; demonstrates a broad knowledge of tools, equipment, and technology used in small package operations; identifies root causes of recurring issues; describes the general structure of small package operations.
- Technology Knowledge: Recognizes the basic impact of technology on UPS business, services, and processes; identifies technological barriers in achieving desired objectives; maintains appropriate breadth and depth of technological knowledge for current work assignment.
- Work Methods, Processes, Flows Analysis: Describes the general impact of requirements, problems, or inefficiencies on other parts of the operation or processes; conducts basic analyses and identifies issues impacting the accuracy of data analysis.
- PhD (or internationally comparable degree) in Operations Research or related area– Preferred
- Experience in implementing Operations Research systems - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law