In June 2019, Vertex announced the establishment of a new research site in the Boston area where research, development, and clinical manufacturing for cell and genetic therapies will be primarily based. Cell and genetic therapies represent two rapidly emerging therapeutic modalities with the potential to treat—and even cure—several of the diseases Vertex is focused on, including sickle cell disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and type 1 diabetes. Further investment in a research site specifically designed to advance these programs will be key to Vertex’s continued and sustained leadership in these exciting approaches. At Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) our research teams will bring together the best biology, technologies and enhanced manufacturing capabilities to ensure we bring these cutting-edge transformative therapies to patients as quickly as possible.
We are looking for a researcher who brings enthusiasm, intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor and a desire to innovate new medicines for patients.
- Participate in the development of upstream production processes for AAV gene therapy vectors using mammalian cells lines.
- Assist with set up, maintenance and operation of stirred tank bioreactors and harvest operations (Depth filtration, Tangential flow filtration)
- Contribute to the planning and design of experiments, execution and independent analysis of data
- Effectively collaborate with a fully integrated team to facilitate the success of projects.
- A Bachelors in Biology, Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering or related discipline with 1-3 years of direct industry experience developing cell culture and vector production processes for manufacture of viral gene therapy vectors/biologics, or a Masters degree with 0-2 years of relevant industry experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in the execution of cell culture techniques for adherent cultures or suspension culture systems.
- Experience with stirred tank bioreactor systems and harvest operations is desired
- Excellent communication skills with the proven ability to build open and collaborative relationships and work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team