Hill Country Transit District
Job Title: Urban Fixed Route Bus Driver
Department: Urban Operations
Reports To: Assistant Director of Urban Operations
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Revision Date: January 2, 2018
Effective Date: April 22, 2014
Responsible for providing transportation services to all individuals, including persons with disabilities, in a safe and timely manner, and for properly operating and maintaining the transit vehicle assigned to him/her. Responsible for complying with all Hill Country Transit District (HCTD) policies and procedures and all funding source regulations and requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Must be able to follow a predetermined fixed route and/or daily special transit service route.
2. Must be able to work any assigned shift (on an "on-call" or regularly scheduled basis).
3. Complies with all routing and scheduling directives.
4. Performs pre-operation safety inspections; requests servicing and repairs verbally and in writing as necessary. Maintains cleanliness and appearance of vehicle, both inside and out.
5. Maintains all required passenger and vehicle records.
6. Operates transit vehicles in a safe and efficient manner. Practices safety at all times in performance of required duties.
7. Operates other bus-related equipment to include wheelchair lifts, ramps, phone, and two-way radio systems.
8. Assists customers who require special assistance and persons with disabilities as required by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), including the securement of mobility aids and physically evacuates passengers in any emergency situation.
9. Provides information to the public regarding transportation services and transit policy.
10. Provides information to supervisor and dispatch regarding route problems or traffic changes.
11. Collects appropriate passenger fares.
12. Maintain an orderly and professional appearing work station/vehicle.
13. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of the rules, regulations and standard operating procedures for motor coach vehicles.
Ability to safely operate HCTD transit coaches and vehicles.
Ability to resolve customer complaints courteously and tactfully.
Ability to work under stressful situations and manage multiple responsibilities.
Ability to communicate effectively, and follow oral and written direction.
Ability to prepare accurate records and reports.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other agencies and the general public using tact, courtesy and good judgment.
Ability to perform all essential functions of a motor coach operator on an emergency basis.
Ability to successfully complete all operator training programs as required by HCTD, state and federal rules and regulations.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
Ability to work cooperatively and productively with supervisor, individuals, professionals, and groups of persons at all levels of activity, contributing to a strong spirit of teamwork.
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Ability to perform tasks effectively and efficiently.
Ability to plan and schedule work and implement directives without constant supervision.
Ability to present a professional appearance and conduct when representing the system.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Duties are performed while sitting for long periods of time in a motor vehicle. Duties also require periodic standing to assist passengers. Employees may be exposed to road hazards related to adverse weather conditions or vehicular traffic. The employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Duties may be performed outside of normal working hours at varying hours of the day, including weekends and holidays.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk. Must have good hearing and sight, including good depth perception, color vision, close vision, distant vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to bend, stoop, twist, turn, walk, climb, crouch, stand, and kneel. Moderate bending and crouching may be required to assist passengers in boarding and exiting the transit vehicle. Must be physically capable of assisting passengers who use assistive walking devices, wheelchairs or other special equipment. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Must be willing and able to administer CPR and first aid.
Hill County Transit rewards its team members for their hard work with:
- Companypaid Health Insurance, for employees only
- Vision and Dental
- Life Insurance
- Short-term Disability
- 12 paid Holidays
- 12 paid Vacation days
- 1 Personal day
- 12 paid sick days
- Employee Assistance Program
High School Diploma or Equivalent.
Must have a valid commercial drivers' license (CDL) Class B with Passenger Endorsement and Air Brake Endorsement, or the ability to obtain Passenger Endorsement within 30 days of hire date.
Regular attendance and reliability is critical to business operations.
Available and willing to work varying shifts, hours and days as assigned to include early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Must be willing and able to drive fixed route vehicle, special transit vehicle, or passenger van.
Have no more than one (1) moving violations in the past 12 months and no more than two (2) moving violations in the past 36 months.
Driver's license cannot have been suspended or revoked within the previous three years.
Must have reliable means of communication, i.e., home telephone, cellular phone.
Public bus driving experience highly desirable.
This position is classified as safety-sensitive and is required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment drug and/or alcohol testing, criminal background check, driving record check, and Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination prior to appointment to position.
This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job.
Hill Country Transit District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.