Your goal – Better the lives of millions of students around the world—through UX design.
Role: UX Design Manager
Product Design / Creative / UX / New York, NY
As UX Design Manager, you will be responsible for leading and mentoring a team of 3-4 Product Designers who design our writing, text-book, and e-reader products used by millions of U.S. and international students.
The ideal candidate for this role will:
Be an exceptional people manager. This manager should excel at creating a supportive, educational, challenging, and creative workplace for his/her design team. This manager will be driven to have a significant focus and impact on the growth and career of their designers. You will work closely with the Director of UX to enhance the already outstanding Chegg UX team.
Foster creative and efficient design execution. This manager should excel at setting high standards, continually innovating process, and creating strong collaborative partnerships while guiding the design team to deliver outstanding work.
Collaboratively drive product strategy and vision. Working closely with our UX Research team, Product Management, Engineering, and other partners, this manager will have passion and a skill for creating data-driven and user-centric product visions that leaders at the highest level of the company love and rally behind.
If this sounds like you, please apply. We’d like to chat with you.
The Team: Chegg UX
Chegg's 40-person global UX team consists of product designers, UX researchers, and UX writers. We work directly with product managers, data scientists, engineering, and business owners to lead the design efforts for a variety of interesting student-facing UI challenges. At Chegg, design plays a critical role in how we build products. We involve user research, design, engineering and product leaders from the start of all projects. Unlike other companies, at Chegg, the UX Team owns the final decisions for UX design and is responsible for promoting UX-led initiatives. We make sure everyone is in constant communication with each other, and we collectively own the performance of our work.
- Lead and coach a 3-4 person product design team across multiple products.
- Set high standards for usability, delight, and meeting student and business needs in our design process and our products.
- Participate in the product definition process with Product Managers, Engineering Manager, and User Research. Drive clarification of user tasks and objectives.
- Coordinate with User Research and Content Strategy to inform and improve design work.
- Develop expert-level knowledge of competitive and complementary products and bring new ideas to the team.
- Drive product strategy and vision with your partners in other disciplines.
- Have a good understanding of current design patterns and guidelines for both, mobile and web, and be able to create a coherent cross-device experience.
- Ensure design work is consistent with Chegg style and brand guidelines.
- 7+ years as a User Experience Designer, creating excellent experiences that delight the customer.
- At least 4 years leading or coaching other designers.
- At least 2 years as UX Manager.
- High degree of creativity and problem-solving.
- Strong ability to collaborate with partners and influence the larger team.
- Ability to think and design holistically to create a cohesive and coherent product experience.
- Excellent understanding of fundamental design principles.
- Excellent interaction/product design skills.
- Excellent conceptual, visual and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency in UX Design tools such as Sketch, Figma, Adobe suite, or similar tools to create user interfaces.
- Experience with mobile web design and responsive design.
- Relentless attention to detail and to consistency.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Design, or related field.
- Experience designing consumer-facing products.
- Experience in the field of education.
- Experience creating interactive prototypes using HTML/CSS, Figma, Framer, or other prototyping tools.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, Chegg Writing, Chegg Internships, Thinkful Online Learning, and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer