Location: 307 West Broadway, New York City, NY 10013
Position Summary: The Veterinary Assistant is part of our Lifesaving Center medical team and provides medical care, basic medical triage, as well as assisting with surgical care to the animals in the Adoption Center in New York.
- Perform new animal intake, including but not limited to vaccinations, microchipping, blood draws, basic intake examinations.
- Triage caregiver observation notes and databases vet checks; alert Center Veterinarians as needed.
- Daily walk-throughs in the Adoption Center to monitor general health of animals.
- Administer prescribed medications, injectable medications, and have the ability to do so without direct supervision.
- Assist with animals returning from surgery, to include logging in medical notes and medications and monitoring the animal post-surgery.
- Perform foster appointments including but not limited to giving vaccinations, snap tests, microchipping, and is responsible for basic examinations.
- Perform medical care independently, including but not limited to bandaging, blood draws, nail trims, administration of SQ fluids, fecal tests, snap tests, microscopic exams, grooming needs, anal gland expressions, etc., under direction of a Center Veterinarian.
- Assist Center Veterinarians in animal handling and general treatment.
- General care of animals in the Adoption Center without direct supervision.
- Assist with vaccinations.
- Fill prescriptions.
- Stock supplies.
- Answer phones and schedule appointments.
- Client education for foster appointments.
- File medical records.
- Entering computer data, including medical notes.
- Laundry and cleaning cages and other animal areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
- At least 6 months of experience working with animals.
- Strong interpersonal skills. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Prior experience as a Veterinary Assistant, or relevant education and or certifications
- Demonstrate personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Must be able to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Animal handling experience and proficiency required.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time to include repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.