Veterinary Technician opportunity of a lifetime: Join our team at the largest animal sanctuary in the country! Help to save lives in our state-of-the-art hospital where we pride ourselves on offering homeless pets the same top-of-the-line care that animals with the most loving families would have their vets provide. The 13,000-square-foot facility offers a private room for shy community cats to stay before and after spay/neuter surgery, a dedicated dental suite, a state-of-the-art laboratory, an x-ray suite, an ultrasound room and many more features that allow us to provide top-notch care. So follow your dream and come live among the beautiful red rock canyons, and put your veterinary technician experience to work for the animals who need you most homeless pets.
Work closely with Veterinarians, Veterinary Assistants, Veterinary Assistant, Senior Technicians, Team Leader, and Clinic support staff to provide medical care to all patients seen by the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Clinic. Duties encompass a wide array of tasks including but not limited to medical record management, client communication, all aspects of veterinary nursing care, and providing financial itemization for all services provided. Medical care provided by a Clinic Veterinary Technician must be performed with general and specialized understanding of the procedure. They must be able to work independently and perform a majority of skills with minimal or no guidance.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to Clients, Veterinary staff, Management and other Sanctuary departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of clinic patients.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures set by the Medical Director and Clinic Manager.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient status/treatment, client information and other sensitive clinic operations.
- Act as liaison between Veterinarians (internal and external), Clinic Management, owners/Caregivers regarding the health, status, and welfare of all Clinic patients.
- Have medical skills associated with all aspects of hospitalized patients: following treatment sheets, recognizing and communicating changes in patient status, common and specialized diagnostic procedures, alternative medicine.
- Have surgical skills associated with all aspects of surgical patients: sterile technique, assisting the Veterinarian intra-operatively, surgical induction, postoperative care, recognizing anesthetic complications, perioperative monitoring, and operating specialized equipment.
- Perform husbandry, triage, phlebotomy, labwork, IV catheter placement, radiology, ultrasound, wound management/bandaging, fluid maintenance, injectable and oral medication administration, laser treatment, intubation/extubation, monitoring and maintenance of anesthesia,, etc.
- Perform solely or in conjunction with a Senior Technician/Veterinarian special procedures including: chemotherapy, blood transfusions,maintaining feeding tubes/chest tubes/urinary catheters, dentals, critical care of medical and surgical patients, physical therapy, euthanasia.
- Perform above medical skills while following strict quarantine/Isolation protocols.
- Perform laboratory testing and basic interpretation: cbc, chemistry panels, T4, urinalysis/fecal analysis (multiple species), ear cytology, PT/PTT, blood smears, facilitate outside lab work, etc.
- Have a working knowledge of medical conditions, terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Have sound mathematical knowledge of Veterinary medicine in order to properly dose medications and fluids.
- Triage and discharge (including home treatments, medications, and follow-up) routine and specialized medical and surgical patients.
- Provide medical care for animals that have significant behavioral issues, which can include but is not limited to shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Independently perform proper and humane medical restraint techniques for multiple species.
- Write and deliver customized continuing education classes for co-workers supporting job related responsibilities.
- Maintain appropriate standard of care protocols: clean housing, fresh food, fresh water, clean litter box, new bedding.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience working in a Veterinary clinic or prior experience as a Veterinary Technician, or relevant education and or certifications.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word and Excel, google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends and the Best Friends Medical team position on issues.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times and on-call shifts as required.
- Must want to work to further your own learning by asking questions and doing personal research.
- Must have a valid driver's license and qualify for Best Friends insurance.
- Ability to lift and handle animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping, and walking on a daily basis.
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor. Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and lift.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.