A strong commitment to service excellence, positive clinical outcomes, cost efficiency, performance enhancement, and high business ethics is required. Comprehensive knowledge in the area of the Epic Electronic Health Record (EHR) implementation and optimization; clinician engagement and configuration of workflow friendly applications; clinical knowledge management; regulatory and pay-for-performance programs; analytics and informatics; population health; and change management. Supports the strategic vision and mission of the organization. Possesses a personal commitment to treat all Health System customers with courtesy, dignity, respect and professionalism, and an adherence to the Commitment to Service Excellence behaviors and standards.
The Vice President/Epic Enterprise Physician is a visible executive and medical leader who supports and promotes the Epic EHR implementation project to clinicians and administrators for the organization. They enforce and champion the project's guiding principles and goals and are responsible for holding clinicians accountable to the same. They will also participate in content strategy, system design, and configuration. They will lead the clinical subject matter experts and committees from across the organization. Epic project leadership will draw on the Epic Enterprise Physician’s experience, status, and opinion while making decisions during implementation and after go-live. The Epic Enterprise Physician will serve in an ongoing role to help determine which new features to install and to help define strategic clinical priorities for continuous improvement for the Health System. The Epic Enterprise Physician encourages other clinicians to participate in the direction-setting and adoption of the Epic EHR and instills a sense of ownership. This sense of community ownership should help clinician see the Epic EHR as something they're participating in to improve clinical workflows and clinical documentation in the care of patients.
- Planning and Shaping the Vision: (E, 30%)
Serves as liaison between clinicians, project governance, executive sponsors, and the project team during the Epic EHR implementation;
- Participates as a member of the joint executive and joint governance meetings and committees regarding the Epic EHR;
- Leads design of clinical pathway models with physicians, clinical operations, and administrative leadership, and assists in modification of these models to gain maximum efficiency and support for patient care;
- Promotes and facilitates the effective use of the Epic EHR for patient care throughout the Health System;
- Collaborates and communicates regularly with physicians and other providers regarding updates or other changes to the Epic EHR or other clinical information systems;
- Communicates, interprets, and translates clinician needs for the IT department;
- Facilitates clinical provider understanding of clinical information systems and manages their expectations of potential Epic EHR solutions;
- Responsible for the Health System’s approach to management of clinical decision support, implementation and use of evidence-based clinical order sets, and other core applied informatics tasks;
- Collaborates with other senior leaders to build a high functioning data reporting infrastructure, overseeing the implementation of standardized terminologies, and ensuring alignment between the Epic EHR, coding and billing platforms, clinical analytics, and business intelligence needs of the organization;
- Participates in clinical activities by providing patient care in appropriate clinical setting, reviews patient assessments and management plans, and maintains active medical practice in area of specialty.
- Organizing and Implementing: (E, 35%)
- Leads physician-focused committees regarding the Epic EHR;
- Supports and promotes the Epic EHR project to clinicians and other operational leaders;
- Understands physician needs and builds professional relationships with physicians to ensure support of the Epic EHR initiatives;
- Directly assists clinical providers who encounter challenges with the acceptance or use of the Epic EHR or other clinical information systems;
- Plays an active role in important system design decisions, particularly for charting tools, dictation, workflows, clinical decision support tools, flowsheets, etc.;
- Works in partnership with Senior Vice President/Chief Information Officer (CIO) and other senior leaders to translate clinician requirements into specifications to ensure improved clinical workflows and valid data for internal and external reporting requirements;
- Engages providers including physicians, physician extenders, nursing staff, ancillary department personnel, medical records staff, and other stakeholders to facilitate the development and use of clinical information systems;
- Participates in the Health System’s IT Steering Committee to represent technology requirements of clinicians and promote the most effective use of information technology in the clinical setting;
- Collaborates with IT Services to develop and implement educational and training programs for clinical providers and other staff;
- Collaborates with other senior leaders and IT Services to develop, manage, and deliver clinical information solutions that improve clinical documentation workflows, maximize revenue, and reduce documentation-related complications of care;
- Sustaining and Measuring Performance: (E, 35%)
- Develops and chairs clinician committees tasked with reviewing and approving clinical content and developing new content and decision support to promote quality initiatives involving the Epic EHR;
- Provides steering and guidance to the project team after the Epic EHR is live;
- Demonstrates the Epic EHR and other clinical systems functionalities to other providers to assist in their understanding of the benefits of the system;
- Serves as a role model for other physicians, helping them optimize clinical workflows of the Epic EHR for the provision of patient care;
- Works closely with administrative staff, IT staff, and members of the Medical-Dental Staff and its leadership to ensure the highest possible level of clinical quality is incorporated into the Epic EHR and other clinical systems design;
- Reviews new Epic EHR and other clinical software releases and updates in conjunction with the key stakeholders to help determine what features should be prioritized for utilization and implementation;
- Responsible for maintaining operational development of the Epic EHR and other clinical information systems to remain current with regulatory requirements, quality reporting, and patient safety initiatives;
- Participates in academic informatics organizations, tracks emerging developments in the field, and continually challenges the organization to maintain advanced industry practices;
- Participates in the annual operating and capital budget process providing input regarding departmental budgets, clinical quality and safety, patient satisfaction, efficiency, access, as well as program and facility development;
- Works closely with nursing and other clinical support departments to foster an environment of cooperation, collegiality, and trust through working relationships with physicians, staff, and patients;
- Regularly attends all relevant medical staff meetings, administrative team meetings, and Board of Managers meetings, when appropriate;
- Performs other duties as may be assigned or requested.
Supervision is received from the Executive Vice President/Chief Medical Officer.
Medical degree required. Must have current board certification from the American Board of Medical Specialties. A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in direct patient care and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience as an Epic EHR physician leader with progressive responsibilities. Experience and professional background that includes formal training in healthcare informatics highly preferred. Experience as a physician leader in hospitals, medical group practice, or academic medical centers and public hospitals highly preferred. Direct experience in the use and management of Epic EHR required. Master’s degree with formal education in medical management, business administration, or public health preferred.
Must possess current active and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Texas. Valid and unrestricted Federal/State registration to prescribe, dispense, and administer controlled substances. Must maintain DEA and DPS registration. Qualified as a provider under Medicare or Medicaid programs. Must maintain appropriate credentialing and clinical privileges within the Health System and/or University Medicine Associates. Must follow rules/regulations as set forth by the Texas Medical Board Medical Practice Act.
Knowledge and familiarity with standard office equipment. Must demonstrate knowledge of medical equipment instruments to administer patient care. Knowledge of basic computer applications. Proficient in Microsoft Office software, database, data analysis, and reporting products. Develops and maintains working knowledge of and/or utilizes data from the host financial and clinical systems.
Work is subject to frequent interruptions, deadlines and decisions. May encounter various hazards usual to health system operations. Local travel to other Health System facilities is required. Occasional out of town travel may be required. Hours of duty may be long and irregular. Some on call duty may be required. Evenings, weekends, and holidays may also be required.
Must be well-respected among peers and seen as a leader and teacher. Must be knowledgeable about all aspects of clinical services, organizational goals, and strategies Must be enthusiastic about the Epic EHR project. Must be relatable to peers, especially in terms of competency in the Epic EHR. Must be a change leader and an aggressive self-starter who can build consensus and be process-focused, guiding changes throughout the organization. Must demonstrate ability to build and maintain strong personal relationships with senior administrative leaders, physicians, and other clinical staff. Requires high energy and persistence to successfully make cultural change in clinical processes to improve the quality of care. Skilled in negotiation and conflict resolution. Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and can work effectively with a diversity of personalities to collaboratively achieve goals. Must be a clinician who understands major trends in healthcare, managed care, healthcare clinical informatics, clinical workflows in both inpatient and outpatient settings, outcomes measurement, and requirements associated with medical and healthcare information reporting. Must have a proven track record in implementation of enterprise-level clinical informatics tools and processes. Possesses ability to communicate effectively, work independently, logically, and plan and organize work assignments. Must possess the initiative and ability to set and achieve high standards of performance and demonstrate success for multiple assignments under time constraints. Must have analytical skills to evaluate large data sets to identify trends, analyze outcomes, and measure impact on quality and safety of care. Effective written and verbal communication skills, strong management and leadership skills, and able to develop and conduct formal presentations for a variety of internal and external stakeholders. Possesses project management, information management, and facilitation skills. A proven ability to work across organizational boundaries. Proficient in multi-tasking, problem-solving, prioritizing, analyzing, organizing and planning. Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints. Knowledge of federal health care regulations and awareness of regulatory and enforcement agencies. Knowledge of performance improvement principles. Must be approachable, show respect for others, and work effectively with all healthcare disciplines. Must demonstrate a courteous and cooperative attitude in working with Health System guests, patients, staff members, and other individuals. Must successfully complete the pre-employment/post job offer health screening examination and the annual screening, each year thereafter, as an employee.