Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Discover has grown to become one of the top five direct banks in the United States since its founding in 1986, and today is well positioned to pursue its vision to be the leading direct bank and payments partner. The company issues the Discover card and is a leader in other banking products that include private student loans, personal and home equity loans, checking and savings accounts, as well as certificates of deposit. It also operates the Discover Global Network, which is comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance around the world.
Discover has established a strong track record of performance since becoming an independent, publicly traded company in 2007. For 10 years, it was the top-performing stock in the S&P 500 Financials Index and the company has grown total loans from $48 billion in 2007 to $96 billion in 2019, deposits from $25 billion to $73 billion, network volume from $186 billion to $403 billion, and net income from $0.6 billion to $2.9 billion.
Discover’s performance is driven by 18,000+ employees who are united by shared values and who are committed to making a difference every day for our customers, owners, communities and one another. Thanks to these employees, Discover receives awards and recognition year-in and year-out for innovative products and features, workplace quality, corporate citizenship, and for providing an industry leading customer experience based on 100% U.S.-based customer service.
Responsible for the leadership of the firm's global investor relations activities. Overall responsibility for the development and implementation of investor relations strategies and policies as well as relationships between the organization and its shareholders, the investing public, and other members of the financial community (including financial analysts and institutional investors), to increase the value and marketability of the organization's stock.
- Serves as the main point of contact for significant investor issues and inquiries and acts as the main spokesperson to the financial community on company financial matters.
- Develops strategies and implements investor and media relations programs that effectively communicate key messages regarding financial performance and business strategies to the investment community and shareholders.
- Oversees planning and coordination of investor calls (including quarterly earnings calls), visits, meetings and conferences between executive management and members of the investment community.
- Provides consultative direction to executive management as it relates to the investor audience.
- Oversees the development and implementation of proactive investor relations outreach programs targeted to existing and potential new investors.
- Oversees the monitoring and assessment of changes and trends in ownership of the organization's stock as well as investor and industry trends, competitor financial data and relevant regulations, and advises senior management accordingly.
- Builds and maintains a strong internal control environment.
- Operates effectively in a strong collaborative environment and demonstrates unquestionable trust, integrity and leadership courage.
- Develops / builds high performing team and an overall talent strategy that consistently delivers on Discover’s behaviors. Coaches for performance while building organization skills sets. Mentors staff and educate broader business teams elevating financial acumen.
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics. Masters in Business administration degree highly preferred
- 12+ years of broad and deep financial and operational experience with significant experience in and a strong track record of creating positive relations with the investor community and Equity Research Analysts, preferably within the Financial Services industry
- Strong understanding of SEC laws and securities disclosure requirements, as well as filing requirements
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the capital markets, as well as a thorough understanding of key metrics for companies in the industry
- Strong familiarity with financial modeling techniques and valuation methods used by analysts and investors
- A strong understanding of macroeconomics, capital markets trends, competitor activities, industry dynamics, and customer trends
- Has superb written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to draft engaging and impactful messages for inspiring investors
- Track record as a trusted advisor and business partner - driving business insights, actions, and accountability, with a customer service-oriented attitude
Key Business Outcomes and Expectations (First 6 months in role)
- Develop thorough understanding of Discover’s Business Strategy
- Develop comfort with sell side analyst financial models to inform our financial communication strategy
- Work with retiring incumbent to complete knowledge transfer and relationship building with Executive Committee members as well as key external stakeholders
- Develop the investor marketing program for 2021
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.