The Vice President of Labor & Employment Counsel supports the HR function in all aspects with respect to employment and labor law. This individual will partner with HR and business managers to manage risk and provide employment law advice and counseling regarding US and international Associates. Primary responsibilities include oversight of employment claims and litigation filed against the company managing legal costs related to these matters overseeing the billing from law firms and partnering with the EPL provider. This position requires close collaboration and partnership with internal stakeholders in HR Risk Management the business units and the other attorneys in the legal department with the primary focus on enabling and supporting the HR function through the creation and review of policy training and other proactive measures that reduce the risk of non- compliance with state local and federal laws that apply to the business. Exempt associates are expected to work as much of each workday as is necessary to complete their job responsibilities.
- JD from an ABA accredited school and an active license and membership in good standing with at least one U.S. State
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a dedicated employment law practice with at least 5 years in a national law firm preferred and at least 2 years in-house experience as an HR professional or employment lawyer. Subject-matter expertise in multi-jurisdictional employment issues and disputes is preferred.
- Experience with hospitality law and related unions preferred.
- Experience with the management of 3rd party discrimination claims preferred.
- Familiarity with employee benefits and compensation is a plus
- Ability to think on your feet in order to independently identify employment law risks and formulate strategies regarding same. Position requires significant experience providing advice and counseling to HR business clients at various levels of the organization
- Ability to think strategically and evaluate potential risks to the Company including economic legal and reputational
- Ability to self-motivate to work with minimal supervision and assume significant responsibility in keeping with the level of experience in employment law
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills. This position requires fast-paced multi-tasking and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple issues involving business partners in various locations
- Willingness to learn and contribute to substantive areas outside of labor and employment law especially with respect to routine contentious matters and litigation.
- Candidate should possess empathy excellent professional judgment and a good sense of humor
- Observes situational and group dynamics and selects best-fit approach and seamlessly adapts style to fit the specific needs of others.
- Promotes a team environment that values encourages and supports differences and ensures that different experiences styles backgrounds and perspectives are leveraged appropriately.
- Advise HR professionals and business managers regarding employment-related matters under US federal state and local laws (g. compliance with Title VII ADAAA FLSA FMLA and state/local sick leave laws FCRA multistate drug testing issues; enforcement of restrictive covenants etc.) and with outside counsel international laws and regulations with a focus on the more regulated states like California and New York.
- Experience with the principles aet forth in the NLRA and can advise on matters related to Labor Relations issues and provide oversight and guidance as requested for grievances arbitration and negotiations and able to develop strategies that minimize risk for the organization and partners with other HR resources in addressing labor issues.
- Comfortable managing and overseeing other HR team members handling labor issues employment investigations and any compliance related matters.
- Advise HR professionals on emerging legislative and regulatory changes affecting employment and labor obligations assists in the creation of policy procedures and training to support the implementation of compliance measures.
- Review and revise internal policies and procedures to ensure multi-jurisdictional regulatory compliance
- Partner with Field Services and Learning and Development to develop and deliver proactive training to business leaders on a wide variety of employment law matters
- Provide legal representation and/or oversee outside counsel regarding agency administrative charges audits and investigations (e.g. EEOC DOL OSHA and state/local agencies) inclusive of all matters insured under the company EPL policy and those matters that re uninsured but employment related.
- Respond to attorney letters complaints and claims involving employment and labor related concern or oversee/supervise the response by outside counsel.
- Supervise outside counsel with respect to employment (and in some instances non-employment) litigation matters
- Advise HR and assist negotiating employment-related documents including separation agreements and restrictive covenants
- Participate in M&A due diligence in support of the HR teams providing perspectives and guidance as needed on transition issues like PTO payouts furloughs and WARN issues.
- Support HR professionals on compensation benefits ERISA and immigration matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested by leadership.
Aimbridge Hospitality is the leading, global, third-party hotel management company operating branded full service, select service, luxury hotels, destination resorts, convention centers and lifestyle hotels. Aimbridge merged with Interstate Hotels & Resorts in 2019, and now represents a premium portfolio of more than 1,400 branded and independent properties in 49 states and 20 countries. Aimbridge is based in Plano, Texas and has additional corporate offices in Atlanta, Calgary, Chicago, Fargo, Puerto Rico, San Clemente, Scottsdale, Toronto and Washington D.C. Aimbridge’s International Division, Interstate Hotels & Resorts, has supporting offices spread across Europe in Amsterdam, Birmingham, Glasgow and Moscow.