Reporting to the General Counsel – US, the Vice President, Legal Services - Energy Markets will provide legal support and management of trading and trading compliance matters for Brookfield Renewable’s portfolio of renewable power generation assets located in the United States. Brookfield Renewable’s US trading activities range from short term trading through to mid to long term structured transactions, and include activities and commodities typical for owners of power generation, including purchase and sale of electrical energy and capacity, ancillary services, renewable energy and emissions credits, and transmission rights.
- Support the business in connection with its trading activities, including negotiation, drafting and review of necessary contractual documentation, and supporting the company’s compliance with regulatory requirements and frameworks applicable to Company trading activities, including FERC, RTO/ISO, CFTC, Dodd Frank, environmental and anti-trust requirements;
- Draft, review, negotiate and manage master trading agreements and related confirmations, including all standard industry forms;
- Advise business originators, traders, contract managers and commercial negotiators on the structuring and legal negotiation of complex physical and/or financial power purchase and sale transactions involving medium and long-term commitments, including the Company’s growing retail program targeting large commercial and industrial customers;
- Provide guidance and assistance to company contracting and compliance personnel in performance of their duties in relation to Company trading and sales activities, including maintenance of relevant registrations and provision of reports and notices to applicable regulatory bodies and compliance with applicable law and market rules;
- Provide strategic legal advice to Company senior management and the Energy Marketing and Trading teams to assist with the negotiation of trading agreements and associated documentation;
- Assure compliance with existing contractual obligations in connection with Company US trading and sales activities, including requirements under applicable debt, partnership and joint venture agreements;
- Assist in compliance with Company governance requirements associated with trading and sales activities, including preparation and review of necessary board, member and partner consents;
- Assist in preparation and administration Company policies and procedures relating to energy trading and sales activities and markets compliance;
- Support mergers and acquisition transactions through diligence review of trading and markets related documentation and compliance matters and integration of acquired transaction portfolios and businesses; and
- Conduct regulatory and other due diligence of transaction counterparties.
- Demonstrated ability to provide business-oriented legal advice and recommendations;
- Strong communication skills; ability to present clear and practical legal arguments;
- Excellent business judgment;
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment and to adapt quickly to changing priorities;
- Strong stakeholder management skills;
- Ability to influence others and to gain support for his/her ideas;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a capacity to build strong working relationships across the organization;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with attention to details and thoroughness;
- Excellent organizational skills, effectively managing priorities while meeting timelines; and
- Ability to manage multiple work streams with minimal oversight.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of legal experience advising clients in sophisticated trading activities and trading compliance;
- Experience working within a “big firm” commercial transactions practice and/or as in-house legal counsel at a US energy or energy trading company is strongly preferred.
- A university degree (LLB; JD) in law and member of a state bar association;
- Familiarity with all customary industry form master trading agreements (e.g., ISDAs, WSPP, EEIs, NAESBs etc.);
- A deep understanding of the laws, regulations and rules applicable to the US independent power sector and related regulatory environments, particularly in regard to energy trading and markets participation within the organized US wholesale power markets, such as PJM, NE-ISO, CAISO, NYISO and MISO;
- Experience supporting trading and risk teams, and administering corporate trading and risk policies an asset;
- Demonstrated exposure to innovate deals and structuring;
- Experience with, and an understanding of, the laws, regulations and rules applicable to retail sellers of energy to large commercial and industrial customers under US state programs a plus.