Vice President of Data Engineering
As Vice President of Data, you will have the very unique and exciting opportunity to lead and drive the architecture, development, and continual improvement of the underlying data platform that informs and drives the Weedmaps portfolio of business products. You will lead and grow the data engineering organization that is responsible for orchestrating anddefining the enterprise data strategy in line with the support of enterprise and analytics strategies. The explosive growth of the cannabis industry, as well as the almost completely differentiated legal requirements in each legal jurisdiction, require that our platform solve for increasingly complex problems and enable client customers to scalably comply with a dizzying array of compliance, reporting, and operating requirements. You will provide thought leadership and direction to unlock the true potential of what we believe is one of our most valuable assets. You will be responsible for shaping how we leverage our data and insights across all ends of the marketplace and supply chain.
Our products range from our flagship consumer website to point-of-sale (POS) to wholesale marketplace to delivery fleet management and reporting. Additionally, as we expand our platform to provide end-to-end SaaS solutions for the cannabis supply chain, it will be increasingly necessary to unify the framework and architecture on which the platform operates with a cross product data approach to ensure that each product works seamlessly with one another. You'll be responsible for ensuring that we are building a scalable, reliable, secure, and highly performant data platform using best practices for delivering our products to market. You will ensure our data architecture is flexible to allow for our growth into new and existing business lines. You'll be responsible for consistentlyintegrating and aligning data analytics roadmaps into an enterprise data roadmap to deliver on the overall data strategy across our suite of products.
This is a strategic role that requires a strong partnership with other functions across the company. You'll partner with other senior leaders across the company to translate technology capabilities into strategic business decisions. You'll drive accountability and metrics ownership to translate strategy into results. And you'll align and inspire your organization by effectively communicating the strategy and driving the team to build a world-class marketplace in the cannabis space.
The impact you'll make:
- Build a world-class data organization consisting of Data Engineering, Data Architecture, Data Management, Data Warehousing and Analytics, Database Operations, Data Sciences as well as drive go to market strategies leveraging our data
- Lead, grow, and inspire the data engineering teams, while building strong ownership and accountability within the team and management layer as the business and product complexity grows at a rapid pace
- Lead a team of engineers that designand develop scalable Big Data Warehouse solutions across the entire data supply chain
- Provide oversight, direction, and technical leadership for the overarching Weedmaps data stack including technologies such as Python, Redshift, Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, SQL, MongoDB, Lambda, Hive, and Pig as well as foster new emerging technologies in the data engineering space
- Recruit, hire, grow and retain top performing talent that is passionate about dominating the technology platform for the cannabis industry
- Drive and champion a culture of continuous learning to improve execution and remove roadblocks
- Build long term technical and team strategies that align with Weedmaps strategic plan and influences the overall company direction
- Partner closely and collaborate with management, business partners, analysts, developers, architects, and engineers to support data quality efforts
- Act as an ambassador for the organization at technology conferences and events
- Build and develop teams of Data Engineering Managers while challenging and motivating the team to accomplish significant deliverables with tight deadlines
- Communicate problems and solutions, team challenges, and overall productivity of teams with executive leadership
- Set up team performance goals and deliver performance reviews for your team members
- Influence quality and productivity improvements through involvement in the development of new and improved procedures, process innovations, training, and changes in corporate culture
What you've accomplished:
- 10+ years of engineering management experience in high-growth engineering organizations, with 3+ years of managing and developing Data Engineering Managers
- Experience creating and reviewing technical and user-focused documentation for data solutions (data models, data dictionaries, business glossaries, process and data flows, architecture diagrams, etc.)
- Experience working closely with the Data Science team to improve actionable data
- Experience architecting and developing a business marketplace at scale
- Big data architecture scaling or microservices experience
- Proven experience building, growing, inspiring, and retaining a collaborative and client-focused team of managers and engineers
- Experience leading large scale organizations of 50+ engineers; training and motivating managers to up level their teams
- Experience working in an e-commerce space as an engineer and leader building applications and technology to engage consumers and foster growth
- Experience with PCI compliant systems and merchant processing systems
- Experience working with and leading onsite and remote teams
- Strong ability to support and mentor team members to accomplish team goals
- Effective and persuasive communication skills at all levels of management, both written and verbal
- Experience working collaboratively at a high level with other teams within an organization
- Ability to take a leadership role in an Agile (Scrum) environment
- Familiarity with frontend and backend technologies and concerns
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree/work experience
- Fully covered Medical, Dental, and Vision for employee AND dependents
- Matching 401k, 50% match up to 6% of employee contribution
- 3 weeks accrued PTO and 5 immediate sick days
- Accident Insurance
- Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment)
- Voluntary Short and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account
- Catered lunch provided 5 days a week
- All the equipment that you need to get your work done
- Fridge is always stocked with energy drinks and other snacks
- Casual work environment, read no suit and tie required , but you are free to dress to the nines
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
About Weedmaps:Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Berlin, Boston, Denver, New York, Phoenix and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps team!