Employees are the heart and soul of Major Brands (“Major”). Having originated as a local wine and spirits distributor in St. Joseph, Missouri, Major has since grown to a statewide premium beverage distribution operation. Since 1934, it has been the dedication of our team members whose commitment to excellence is reflected in our portfolio of products, our relationships with customers and suppliers and our local community engagement. With just over 600 employees, now spanning five (5) locations in Missouri, Major’s growth story continues! Visit us at www.majorbrands.com to learn more about our company history, premium brands, and, our commitment to social responsibility and our local communities.
As we pivot to achieve new goals, Major Brands is excited to announce its need for a dynamic Vice President of Human Resources (VP HR) to join its Executive Leadership Team. The ideal candidate will enjoy flexing in scope and function in an effort to further strategic initiatives while building out critical day-to-day best HR practices. Major is intensely focused on its people strategy as a means to support future growth and a more strategic approach to HR is strongly desired – not only in the areas of talent acquisition, talent management, and, succession, but also in building out the best of its culture and further defining Major Brands’ employer brand.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the new Vice President of Human Resources will:
- EXHIBIT ENTREPRENEURIAL LEADERSHIP – Serve as a key member of Major’s Executive Leadership Team and as the face of HR to the entire organization. Partner with company leadership to develop and execute a new Major people strategy. Reinforce a positive company culture through employee engagement and recognition programs. Ensure that talent remains a top priority and a major strength of the company while fostering a healthy sense of accountability throughout the business.
- INSPIRE A HIGH-PERFORMING TEAM – With oversight for a small team (3-5) of HR professionals based in St. Louis and Kansas City, Missouri, Major’s VP HR will be responsible for setting the standard in leading a high-performing team. Crafting, implementing, and communicating Major’s new people strategy at all levels is a must. Developing, assessing, and retaining HR team members will be required to support Major’s growth initiatives. Inspire and mentor the HR team to serve as true business partners for internal management and to be accessible and positive resources for all employees.
- ATTRACT, DEVELOP & RETAIN TALENT – Identify and implement best practices for the full lifecycle of employees including recruiting, onboarding, training and development, and performance management as well as retention and succession planning. Serve as a trusted advisor to Executive Leadership Team as well as a strategic business partner to internal management. Partner with management to evaluate staffing needs, organizational structure, specific roles and responsibilities as well as best practices for continued organizational growth.
- MANAGE EMPLOYEE RELATIONS & PROMOTE EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT – Partner with managers, employees, and, outside legal counsel as needed to assist in issue resolution. Further develop management training to ensure best HR and hiring practices at all levels. Drive proactive initiatives to engage employees and build a positive culture. Ensure compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures as well as local, state and federal regulations.
- CREATE A CULTURE OF ACCOUNTABILITY & CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT – Work closely with managers to evaluate, improve, and oversee a fair and consistent implementation of Major’s performance management system. Promote a culture of accountability and continuous improvement, including goal-setting and professional development plans. When necessary, counsel and empower managers through disciplinary action and termination procedures. Advise on workforce planning and staffing, promotions, advancement, and internal succession planning.
- OVERSEE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS – Partner with the CFO in benefits and provider selection. Implement new benefit plans, communicate plan changes, and address employee questions and concerns. Develop incentive programs and communicate expectations to produce desired results. Ensure that Major maintains competitive compensation and benefits that balance with corporate goals and objectives. Continuously evaluate innovative benefit offerings and new employee programs. Partner with CFO and accounting team to address all payroll matters.
- DIRECT CHARITY AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS – Oversee charitable activities and serve as the coordinator of community engagement. Implement the company’s giving philosophy, ensuring fairness, maximum impact and appropriate publicity.
- 10-15+ years of progressive HR leadership experience, including a demonstrated track record of leading people strategy, people development, and building accountability and culture.
- Prior experience serving as a member of a senior leadership team is absolutely required.
- Strong knowledge of business operations and a solid financial acumen is required.
- Demonstrated experience and genuine enthusiasm for providing both strategic and transactional HR functions is strongly desired.
- Familiarity with providing HR support for multiple locations is a must.
- Prior HR team supervisory experience also required.
- Expertise and knowledge in crafting compensation models for fast-growing sales teams a plus.
- Willingness to provide hands-on recruitment assistance and a strong eye for talent is required.
- 4-year degree in related field is required; SPHR certification and or advanced degree a plus!
- Strong working knowledge of HR-related laws and regulations (FMLA, FLSA, ADA, etc.).
- Prior experience in a union environment and/or with a distribution entity is ideal, but not required.
- Ability to travel to company locations statewide also required.
Other Skills & Abilities Required:
- An entrepreneurial desire to embrace BOTH executive level strategy development AND hands-on execution of policies, procedures and initiatives… a “leader” and a “doer”.
- A willingness to debate and persuade company leadership, peers, and direct reports in order to arrive at the best possible business decisions for the company.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact and work well across all levels of the organization. Demonstrated facilitation and presentation skills are expected.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to keep information confidential, build rapport, and resolve conflict in a fair and consistent manner.
- Team player with the ability to adapt his or her approach across a diverse employee base.
- Proven ability to proactively identify, advocate for and implement process improvements and HR policies.
- Strong technology skills, including direct experience with HRIS systems and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Solid work ethic and high ethical standards.
Major Brands is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Major Brands welcomes difference in the form of gender, race, ethnicity, disability, geography, socioeconomic status, age, politics, religion, philosophy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.
Location and Compensation
This position will be based in Major Brands corporate headquarters office in St. Louis, Missouri. Ability to travel statewide as needed for HR and company-wide events is required. Major Brands offers a competitive compensation package, including a base salary, annual bonus, and, comprehensive benefits package.
We invite you to take the next step and apply in confidence at www.csiapply.com.
Simply select Major Brands – Vice President of Human Resources and upload your resume. Should you experience any difficulties with the application system or wish to make a confidential inquiry or referral, please contact our search firm at email@example.com. All inquiries and resume submissions will be held strictly confidential. This is a retained search – please do not contact Major Brands directly.
Collaborative Strategies, Inc., a St. Louis-based consulting firm with a boutique executive search practice, has been connecting executive talent to opportunity since 1994. We take pride in matching talented leaders with fast-growing and entrepreneurial organizations such as Major Brands, located here in St. Louis, Missouri. For more information, visit us online at www.getcollaborative.com.
Director of Human Resources