Cramer Fish Sciences has an immediate need for a Video and Image Data Scientist based in our West Sacramento, CA office. This position's focus will be on applied research for river restoration and environmental monitoring.
Cramer Fish Sciences (CFS) is a fisheries research consulting firm that serves throughout the Pacific Northwest and California. Our mission is to rigorously apply the scientific method to afford our clients innovative, scientifically robust solutions to address a variety of fisheries and environmental challenges. The CFS team achieves this through effective and unbiased data collection, insightful analysis and interpretation, and clear communications. The Image and Video Data Scientist provides support for the organization by developing and implementing basic and state of the art analyses on images and video collected as part of river restoration and environmental monitoring.
CFS presently uses remotely sensed imagery, either from publicly available data sources or collected via an assortment of stationary, mobile and macro and micro image techniques for a variety of applications including:
- Habitat typing classification
- Orthomosaics (photogrammetry)
- SfM (Structure from Motion)
- Aerial redd surveys
- Aerial vegetation surveys
- Substrate particle size analysis
- Stream flow video analysis using large scale particle image velocimetry
- Identification of fish species sex, age, size
- Boney structure assessment including, scales, fin rays, and otoliths
- Population estimates and demographic measurements of migratory fish species via video and direct trapping and handling
We seek someone to help us develop, standardize, and automate methods to perform these and other analyses. The selected applicant will have strong computer science and programming skills to analyze both images and videos, with the goal of automated techniques that are scientifically robust. We are especially interested in candidates who have knowledge and experience using machine learning and artificial intelligence to identify objects (fish) from videos or still frames from videos (e.g. such as VidSync, http://www.vidsync.org/HomePage).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform data analyses and problem solving for various projects, studies and other assignments
- Complete research and analysis of data related to project tasks as assigned, summarize and display data
- Serve as a task lead on multiple projects and guide Technicians successfully to help support the project work and data collection needed
- Maintain client relationships and distribute periodic project updates for projects. Attend client meetings as necessary
- Manage logistical items such as purchasing of equipment and supplies, and assigning various duties and tasks to staff
- Attend and present at scientific meetings
- Conduct literature reviews and increase familiarity with scientific literature relevant to projects
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (required):
- Computer science and programming: Demonstrated ability to develop and implement computer science algorithms and programs in the analysis of physical and biological image and video datasets with the goal of automation. (Experience with Python or equivalent programming language A and R or an equivalent statistical analysis package.)
- Team leadership Skills: Within a team and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) culture, set personal high performance and quality standards and enable the team to be successful. View all members of the team as critical and important and treat team members with respect and professionalism. Able to collaborate with other team members.
- Science-business balance. This individual should demonstrate expertise and be passionate about science, natural resources and resolving complex aquatic resource problems. In addition, the individual should understand management and business functions to help manage CFS as a profitable business.
- Ability to complete and/or delegate work assigned by project leaders
- Ability to work independently with strong organization and coordination skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with overlapping deadlines
- Ability to interpret and follow established guidelines and procedures
- Ability to produce accurate, timely and quality work products and be accountable for meeting objectives
- Passion for, and ability to work collaboratively with others to, resolve problems
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members; express and exchange ideas
- Strong customer service ethic in delivery of services
- Positive energy as evidenced in an optimistic outlook, a sense of humor and a disposition to encourage
- Education in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Imaging Science, Environmental Science, or related field
- Strong knowledge of and experience with applying the science and engineering theories behind image creating technologies, the integration of those technologies into imaging systems, and the application of those systems to solve scientific problems.
- Experience in recording, processing, displaying, and analyzing image data.
- Experience in evaluation/application of new algorithms and implementations for image analysis related to the environmental sciences.
- Experience in developing cutting-edge imaging systems.
- Experience in data management and scientific application processing, including data warehousing, workflow development, and automation.
- Experience participating in domain-science software development teams.
- Knowledge of topics related to bioinformatics, data science, computer science, or computational chemistry
- Demonstrated ability to work alone or as part of a team collecting, recording and analyzing a variety of high-quality image and video data sets from field and laboratory monitoring projects and experiments.
- Five years of relevant work experience (e.g. programming and image analysis), or
- MS/MA with 3 years of experience, or
- PhD with 1 year of experience
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Possible long periods of computerized data analysis in an office environment
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive base salary based on qualifications
- Health and retirement benefits
- Incentive pay structure available
- CFS is an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) company
Cramer Fish Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans Disabled