(To apply, click the link at the bottom of this file.)
THE EXECUTIVE CHEF OPPORTUNITY AT VILLAGE ON THE ISLE
Situated on a beautiful 16.5-acre campus on Florida’s island of Venice, Village On The Isle is the first and only Continuing Care Retirement Community/Life Plan Community in Venice. The executive chef position at Village On The Isle is an excellent opportunity to work for an organization that is truly focused on leading-edge culinary offerings in the continuing care retirement community world as well as a supportive and collaborative work environment. The position also offers an excellent quality of life in a great location; just minutes from Venice’s glorious beaches!
The executive chef at Village On The Isle will assume the day-to-day oversight of the culinary operations. Village On The Isle is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented leader who has a passion for the craft and the people he or she works with and serves. Successful candidates have an employee and resident-centric focus and the demonstrated ability to deliver an exceptional culinary experience throughout all dining venues within the continuum of care – from residential living, to assisted living and skilled nursing.
Click here to see a brief video about this opportunity.
THE VILLAGE ON THE ISLE COMMUNITY
VILLAGE ON THE ISLE
Introduced at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America’s Convocation on Aging by Dr. William Stover, Rev. Richard Hafer and Rev. Charles A. Burkey in 1973, Village On The Isle became incorporated in 1979 and then in 1980, ground was broken. By 1982, Southwest Florida Retirement Center, Inc. doing business as “Village On The Isle,” opened its doors, now proudly celebrating over 35 years in service.
Since its inception, Village On The Isle has been a faith-based, not-for-profit Continuing Care Retirement Community/Life Plan Community affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and there is no specific religious requirement to either live or work at Village On The Isle.
Village On The Isle has a successful track record of being a top choice for retirement living in the local area. In the organization’s 35+ year history, Village On The Isle has always shown a strong commitment to provide the highest quality of care and services while maintaining the appropriate financial stewardship to assure its mission continues for years to come.
Village On The Isle residents are fully engaged in “doing life together” not only in the many social and recreational opportunities on the campus, but also availing themselves of myriad educational, cultural, and volunteer opportunities that exist not only on the campus but also on the Island of Venice and surrounding areas.
With local shopping, beautiful Gulf of Mexico beaches, great restaurants, and local theatre and symphony; there is much to do in this beachside location. Within the Community, residents enjoy a variety of dining and menu offerings, an outdoor pool, fitness centers and classes, art studio, and a vibrant woodworking and craft shop; to name a few. The Resident Council and other important committees are designed to offer resident input and opportunities to get involved in life and enjoyment at Village On The Isle.
THE VENICE AREA
Village On The Isle is only minutes away from Historic Downtown Venice and its lively Main Street. Venice and its surrounding communities offer business, culture and natural beauty.
Venice is one of the few cities on Florida's west coast that is not separated from the Gulf by a barrier island. Preserving the original character of Venice, the city created the Historic Venice District and an Architectural Review Board to ensure that new construction or modification of existing buildings conform to the northern Italian renaissance style of the city's original architecture. Designation as a Main Street City by the State of Florida further assures that Venice's heritage is preserved.
Just beyond the Venice city limits lies South Venice/North Port; conveniently located on US Highway 41, also known as the Tamiami Trail. This area is expanding and includes State College of Florida’s South Campus, the Venice Health Park, as well as many beautiful housing developments and golfing communities. North of Venice and less than 30 minutes away is Sarasota, which offers many local attractions, including world-renown Siesta Key Beach, St. Armand’s Square, and many indoor and outdoor attractions.
THE VILLAGE ON THE ISLE MISSION:
Village On The Isle is a not-for-profit Life Plan Community affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We are committed to sharing God’s love by promoting individual growth and dignity, enhancing the quality of life and meeting the spiritual needs of our residents, staff and community.
The values and mission are ever-present in the thoughts and actions of Community leaders, residents and staff. With annual revenue targeted at approximately $28+ million, Village On The Isle has been undergoing a major campus repositioning and growth strategy to expand its service to over 425 seniors through a dedicated team of 280 employees.
VILLAGE ON THE ISLE BY THE NUMBERS
- 425+ residents
- 250 apartment residences and cottage homes
- 64 Assisted Living Units (including 16 memory care units)
- Future 64-Bed skilled nursing facility (called the Health Center)
- 280 full and part-time employees
- 31 kitchen employees
- 1 kitchen that services Hibiscus and Bistro dining rooms
- 8 neighborhood kitchens that service eight assisted living and skilled nursing neighborhood dining rooms.
Village On The Isle prides itself as a highly-regarded, single-site community with decades of experience in serving its mission and maintaining sound financial stewardship for long-term viability. In November 2018, Village On The Isle had a public rating assignment of BBB- (Investment Grade). Across the United States, there is a small percentage of Continuing Care Retirement/Life Plan Communities that hold this investment grade rating from a rating agency.
HOME & CARE OPTIONS
Residential (Independent) Living: Matthew Hall consists of 140 independent living residences, Trinity Hall consists of 57 independent living residences, and The Cottages of Village On The Isle offer seven (7) individual cottage homes. The Emerald Terraces include 46 brand new residential apartment homes ranging from 1,250 to 1,620 square feet.
Assisted Living: The Lofts is a fully renovated, 80,000-square-foot building where residents enjoy a residential lifestyle with customized licensed support. Assisted living services has a specialty license to offer limited nursing services as appointed by the Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration.
Memory Care: For residents who need memory support, Caspersen Loft opened in January 2018 offering support to those affected by Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
Skilled Nursing (Health Center): Should residents have the need for short or long-term nursing care, Village On The Isle’s Health Center offers comprehensive nursing care and rehabilitative services. With highly trained and experienced nursing staff and the very best medical support, the Health Center has maintained a quality-driven reputation as a health care provider for over 35 years.
New Health Center: The new Health Center is a three-story, 66,000-square-foot building which has four distinct households that offer 16 private suites for residents to receive comprehensive care and support from staff 24-hours a day. The households are designed to offer a more tailored approach while providing a quality, home-like atmosphere.
FOOD & BEVERAGE OPERATIONS
The Hibiscus dining room (seats approximately 180) is open six days a week for lunch and dinner and offers a very popular brunch on Sundays. There are plans to create a casual dining venue, called the Bistro, which will be open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Bistro will seat approximately 200.
Healthcare dining operations at Village On The Isle are undergoing major transformations now with the renovation of The Lofts as well as the new Health Center. Residents previously dined in one community location or in their rooms. Now, at The Lofts, residents have the option to dine in their “neighborhood” in an upscale kitchen and dining room area. This allows staff to provide more personalized service and residents can enjoy dining in a lovely, home setting which is what the “Green House Model” is all about. The new Health Center will also transition to this style dining when it opens in October 2019.
Residents can also order take-out meals or have their meals delivered to their residence. Village On The Isle prepares approximately 130 meals daily to support Meals on Wheels.
Village On The Isle has an active, local, 14-member Board of Trustees who govern the Community. The executive chef position is a full-time position and reports directly to the Director of Dining Services. The executive chef leads, trains and manages the back-of-house staff (31 FTE’s). Direct reports include a sous chef, pastry chef, and utility supervisor.
VILLAGE ON THE ISLE WEB SITE: www.villageontheisle.com
EXECUTIVE CHEF JOB DESCRIPTION
The executive chef is responsible for the overall operation of the Dining Services production. The executive chef will work with the Dining Services Director, culinary staff and others to deliver an exceptional experience and promote the highest standards of service delivery for Village On The Isle residents.
The executive chef will be responsible to emulate the values and strategic initiatives of the organization.
In addition to the normal and customary responsibilities and regulatory obligations, the executive chef will be crucial to direct the following:
- Consistently exceed resident and guest expectations for quality, taste, presentation, variety and creativity.
- Evaluate and set appropriate and necessary standards of operation, execution and delivery within the culinary operation; taking ownership for the entire experience from production to final delivery of the end-product, while working closely with the FOH team.
- Focus on delivering consistency and the highest quality meals across all venues including the assisted living and Health Center neighborhoods.
- Learn residents’ names and culinary and dining preferences. Understand the residents in order to meet their dietary needs and understand what matters most to them. Encourage resident engagement in the culinary program by offering cooking classes, action stations, etc. Earn resident trust by instilling confidence through enhanced operations and visibility.
- Evaluate and continue to develop, train, cross-train and mentor the team while promoting fairness and consistency within. Continue to attract, develop and promote high quality staff. Develop team members’ skills and abilities and continue to create a culture among the staff that encourages creativity and passion for the work that they perform and respect for fellow employees.
- Develop policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality.
- Manage to budgeted food and labor goals.
- Organize logistics and build efficiencies for delivering high quality and creative meals through the multiple a la carte outlets, carry out and delivery, and Meals on Wheels.
- Prepare and promote care practices with team members that align with the “Green House Model” to exceed current and future expectations; and advocate for residents and staff members of the community.
- Establish approaches that enhance employee engagement and job satisfaction.
The executive chef must be a person whose personal and professional life exemplifies the importance and dignity of service. By example and by leadership and direction, the executive chefs is a person of high integrity who is confident, relaxed, and positive in his or her approach to issues and people, and capable of instilling a service ethic in all health management and staff.
- The ideal candidate will be an experienced executive chef with a minimum of four years’ progressive experience at club, hotel and/or resort restaurants that are known for high-level, quality food and beverage programs and exemplary service.
- A degree in culinary arts is required.
- Certified Executive Chef (CEC) certification (that is kept current) with the American Culinary Federation (ACF) is preferred.
- Certification in food safety is required (ServSafe/Food Protection Manager).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are imperative.
- Warm, outgoing and compassionate personality with strong leadership, teamwork and change management skills is important.
- Computer literacy is required, which includes, but is not limited to, the Microsoft Office suite.
Compensation will be commensurate based on experience. This position is eligible for health, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter Village On The Isle”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
If you have any questions, please email Nan Fisher: firstname.lastname@example.org
LEAD SEARCH EXECUTIVE:
Village On The Isle is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The material presented in this position specification should be relied on for informational purposes only. This material has been copied, compiled, or quoted in part from Village On The Isle documents and personal interviews and is believed to be reliable. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, the original source documents and factual situations govern.