Description The University Relations Department at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Visit Admissions Counselor. Under the direction of the Director of Visitors Services, this position helps to convey admissions messaging and information in all aspects of the daily campus visit experience in an effort to meet enrollment goals and improve recruitment strategies. This person also contributes to recruitment strategies via customer service initiatives, admissions counseling and tour planning. Incumbent initiates programmatic and individual activities while functioning as a part of the larger WVU University Relations and Enrollment Management team. This position is an integral part of the Visitors Center team.
- Conduct admissions presentation to prospective students and families as well as group tours, presenting 5-10 times weekly.
- Ensure that all visitors to campus have an enjoyable visit experience and leave WVU with a favorable impression of the academic, social and co-curricular offerings available at the University.
- Attend all Visitors Services staff meetings and maintain regular contact with Director, Assistant Director and fellow Admission counselors for general updates on activities and reports.
- Manage recruitment territory of prospective students visiting campus.
- Assist with WVU Recruitment events including Discover WVU, Decide WVU, Junior Preview, Ask Us Anything, Distinguished Scholars and New Student Orientation. Additionally, the incumbent may be asked to participate in Welcome Week and State Fair programming. Participation in WVU Recruitment events could involve overnight travel.
- Engage with visitors prior to the visit, during the visit, and in follow-up communications about where they are in the process with application, housing, financial aid, and deposits. Assist prospective student visitors in completing their application, paying deposits, requesting transcripts, completing housing application, and registering for New Student Orientation. This can also include registering prospective students for tours and academic appointments.
- Coordinate and engage with various on campus academic and non-academic departments to ensure that all visits are a success including scheduling individual department appointments with offices of interest of visiting students and their families.
- Assist with other projects and assignments at the request of the Director, Assistant Director or Assistant Vice President.
- Serve as a secondary supervisor for Tour Guides and Graduate Assistants working within the Visitor Centers.
- Participate in regular Tour Guide staff meetings held monthly to update team on Admission practices and updates.
- Staff the Visitors Center when needed, handling walk-in, check-in and telephone inquiries.
- Assist in the hiring, training and evaluating of tour guides.
- Bachelors degree required.
- 6-months to 1 year experience in the following:
- project management
- event planning
- college admissions/recruitment
- sales/customer service
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills are required to advise and counsel students, parents, and high school counselors regarding WVU programs and admission requirements as well as communicate attributes of programs and services offered.
- Must have demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop constructive relationships with prospective students and their families as well as University administrators and high school counselors, teachers, and principals.
- Excellent time management, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
- Must be able to plan and help manage events with creativity and efficiency.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, deadline –driven environment.
- Ability to relate to the concerns of prospective students and parents and the ability to counsel them on those concerns.
- Must be able to travel occasionally (often overnight) and to work extended hours and weekends on short notice as needed. Must be able to work flexible hours in late spring and summer as needed.
- Must be comfortable working remotely, often in satellite offices on campus.
- Must exhibit professional behavior and image at all times to best represent WVU to our constituents.
- Must exhibit a positive attitude and the demonstrated ability to work well with others.
- Ability to rapidly learn WVU admission requirements, admission timeline, and basic housing and financial aid requirements and regulations.
- Must be able to qualify for a university travel card (pass a credit check).
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselveson a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the mostpassionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sakeof progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty andstaff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud tostand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about youropportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/
West Virginia University is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCEaward for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty,staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals,including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.