JOB TITLE: Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Employment Services
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director, Employment Services
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday � Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Central Office
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: Provides comprehensive vocational rehabilitation services including job readiness training, job placement assistance as well as ongoing support to ensure successful placement outcomes across a variety of industries and skill sets. Assesses client barriers to implement customized rehabilitation plans. Develops and cultivates proactive relationships with potential employers in order to establish employment worksites. Conducts the Intake process and provides direct case management responsibilities to program participants.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: This position will require support of internship training and documentation; both at the graduate level for Rehabilitation Counseling majors as well as internal internships for clients.
TRAVEL REQUIRED: Approximately 20% - 25%; metro Chicago and suburbs.
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Contacts employers, surveys employer worksites, answers employer questions, identifies individual jobs appropriate for clients, and establishes formal supported work sites for enrolled clients;
- Identifies and refers for all necessary support services or referrals for such services to ensure successful placement of enrolled clients;
- Locates barriers to client employment, such as inaccessible work sites, inflexible schedules, or transportation problems, and work with clients to develop strategies for overcoming these barriers;
- Maintains client confidentiality at all times;
- Conducts intake assessments for incoming clients;
- Maintains close contact with clients during job training and placements to resolve problems and evaluate placement adequacy;
- Maintains monthly communication with Division of Rehabilitation Counselors on all client progress and feedback;
- Remains abreast of current information about labor market needs and employment opportunities through online job postings, community partners and internal referrals;
- Maintains accurate and complete client records as required by funding sources including State, Federal and City contracts;
- Advises on job accommodation requests;
- Identifies resources for successful community-based employment;
- Responsible for adhering to building security procedures and taking appropriate measures in case of accident, illness or emergency;
- Projects professional agency and programs image to contacts within private industry and other groups;
- Possesses proficiency in electronic communication and internet research for application completion;
- Conducts technical assistance and awareness training about the impact of disability on the job performance to employers and staff;
- Attends agency or professional group seminars and conferences to increase professional knowledge;
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Master�s Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling preferred.
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor Certification required.
- Strong capacity to succeed in fast-paced environment with competing priorities and time sensitive projects.
- Previous experience working with the blind/visually impaired, disabled or Veterans in a rehabilitation setting.
- Ability to establish rapport while advocating for client success.
- Ability to occasionally alter schedule to accommodate needs of clients in various stages of employment.
- Possess transportation options that allow for flexible and short notice travel in the Chicagoland area.
- Commitment to our mission of providing opportunities for people who are visually impaired, blind, deaf-blind, otherwise disabled and veterans is essential.
The Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired is an Equal Opportunity Employer in full compliance with local, state, and federal Civil Rights & Affirmative Action laws. The Chicago Lighthouse maintains a strong policy of accommodation and a consistent practice of employing qualified individuals with disabilities.