The Mission of MIM: The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the worlds diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create musicthe language of the soul.
Hours and Compensation: MIM will work with interns to create a schedule that fits the needs of both the student and the department. Interns will be compensated at the current minimum wage. Candidates for this internship should be able to fulfill approximately 15-20 hours per week. Schedule is flexible, but intern must be available for some evenings and weekends, preferably during MIM Signature Events.
Purpose and Goals: MIM seeks an intern to work alongside the Volunteer Manager to provide support (administrative & operational) to MIMs Volunteer Department. The Volunteer Department recruits and brings community members on board to serve as volunteer team members in a range of activities within the museum, including Gallery Guides in the geographic galleries and the Experience and Encore Galleries, ushers in the Music Theater, and as trained Museum Guides hosting guided tours to groups. This internship provides an opportunity to develop experience through broad exposure to the field of volunteer administration at a world-renowned institution. Volunteer Department interns gain a better understanding of civic engagement and the way a museum volunteer department utilizes the talents of community members to support museum operations and enhances the experience of the guests; they also experience the satisfaction of making an important contribution to MIMs mission.
- Assist Volunteer Department in communicating with 400+ volunteer team members
- Assist with recruitment and marketing of volunteer opportunities, including brochures, collateral and website content
- Assist with volunteer engagement and outreach
- Assist with processing new volunteer applications and communicating with prospective volunteers
- Assist with preparations for and during new volunteer orientations as well as continuing education, training and enrichment activities
- Assist with hours, data tracking, reporting on volunteer team member activity and inactivity, and other projects as needed
- Assist with volunteer recognition and incentives activities
- Assist with the planning of volunteer events
- Current student enrolled in accredited degree program, preferably in museum studies, human resources, communications, or arts administration. Recent graduates (less than 12 months since receiving degree) may also apply.
- Well organized, detail oriented, creative and resourceful, with strong problem solving skills
- Must have strong communications skills, both written and oral
- Energetic, approachable, and willing to learn about musical instruments and world cultures
- Must enjoy working with people and be willing to become actively involved in the programs of the Museum
- Must be comfortable speaking to groups of all ages
- Must possess a professional attitude and be able to work well on a team
- Gain hands-on experience in a museum setting
- Strengthen understanding of successful museum volunteer programs
- Become familiar with non-profit, and specifically museum, administration practices
- Improve written and oral communication skills
For more information please visit our website at MIM.org
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via the link below: