Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is located 5 miles from the town of Kanab, UT and is a life-saving haven for nearly 1,600 adoptable animals. The Sanctuary hosts over 10,000 volunteers annually. Upon arriving at the Sanctuary, volunteers are greeted by friendly, knowledgeable employees.
The Volunteer Project Specialist is part of the team who ensures that all Sanctuary volunteers have an exceptional volunteer engagement experience and demonstrates understanding of the important role volunteers play in our work to Save Them All.
The Volunteer Project Specialist is actively involved in ensuring the volunteer management platform, Digital Cheetah, runs smoothly for sanctuary volunteers. This specialist will also focus on engaging our local volunteer base in Kanab, UT through recruitment, volunteer coordination of sanctuary-based projects and recognition. The volunteer specialist also works closely with the volunteer specialist team to assist with phone, email, volunteer check-ins and face-to-face interactions with our visiting volunteers.
- Responsible for the following aspects of Digital Cheetah:
- Submitting and following up on help desk tickets regarding Digital Cheetah problems for the sanctuary. Assisting the program cities with help desk tickets as needed.
- Responding to inquiries from volunteer department staff at the sanctuary, and assisting with program cities inquiries as needed.
- Working with Digital Cheetah internal IT support
- Assigning and removing administrative capabilities
- Training new volunteer staff at the sanctuary on Digital Cheetah and providing training support, when needed, for program cities on Digital Cheetah
- Creating volunteer reports and forms for the Sanctuary team, and assisting the program cities as needed
- Manage local volunteer engagement program, including:
- Managing sanctuary local volunteer program:
- Recruiting for local volunteer opportunities
- Sending out a monthly newsletter
- Managing the local volunteer group
- Assisting other departments with integrating local volunteers into their programs
- Volunteer recruitment for sanctuary transports
- Volunteer recruitment for clinic volunteer program
- Management of the kitten nursery volunteer program including recruitment, engagement, inputting hours, managing the incentive program, sending out weekly newsletters and other tasks as assigned.
- Management of the Four Directions community cat volunteer program including recruitment and engagement of volunteers.
- Volunteer recruitment and engagement for sanctuary lifesaving projects.
- Managing sanctuary local volunteer program:
- Assist the volunteer specialist team to serve as the initial and primary contact for responding to volunteer inquiries and guiding volunteers through the account creation, trip planning and onsite engagement process for over 10,000 volunteers per year.
- Responsible for performing all duties associated with Sanctuary volunteer specialist team including but not limited to performing volunteer check-ins, lead day duties, answering phone calls, assistance with volunteer account creation and shift sign up, communicating our processes and policies, providing directions, and contacting and coordinating with other Best Friends departments on the volunteer's behalf.
- Establish positive, meaningful, relationships with new volunteers to encourage continued connectivity to Best Friends and deepen relationships with the local and frequently returning volunteers to strengthen their commitment to Best Friends.
- Be informed about Best Friends national programming, events and initiatives and educate volunteers on why it's important and how to become active in their home communities to help Save Them All.
- Collaborate with the Department Manager and Team Leader in the development of volunteer engagement strategies to support organizational needs.
- Help with volunteer social media activities.
- Participate in Best Friends immersion days, job shadowing sessions and trainings in the animal care areas and other areas as determined to gain a better understanding of how each area functions and how it relates to the volunteer experience.
- Adhere to Best Friends and Sanctuary Volunteer Department policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects from start to finish
- Excellent writing skills, preferably with experience writing for an audience.
- Strong people, communication (written and verbal), and high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups while delivering pertinent volunteer information.
- A team player who works energetically and enthusiastically with other staff toward a common vision and goals.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent attention to detail, multi-tasking, organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain a calm and understanding demeanor and be an efficient problem solver in high stress, emotional, confidential and sensitive situations.
- Excellent computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office 365, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Must be a quick learner when it comes to using new technology and equipment.
- Experience working with technology management systems, preferably Digital Cheetah
- Previous experience training other people on using technology systems.
- Genuine passion for Best Friends' mission with the ability to advocate on behalf of Best Friends' position on issues and to effectively represent our message of compassion and respect for all living creatures.
- Willingness and ability to work weekends and holidays.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation.
- Extended periods of time sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Standing for short periods of time.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.