Department: The Global Claims organization has been designed to strengthen MetLife’s foundation as a global company. Aligned as a leadership team, the global claims organization focuses on delivering a differentiated customer experience, simplifying how the company operates and leveraging its scale.
The Role: The VP of Claims Resolution plays a key role on the Global Claims Leadership Team. This person will be responsible for providing leadership for the Short Term Disability (STD) and Total Absence Management (TAM) Claim Centers which is instrumental to delivering a differentiated customer experience, simplifying how the company operates and leveraging its scale. The incumbent is expected to be a strategic driver of claims transformation and delivery as it relates to our competitive advantage, service levels and the financial implications of achieving our vision.
- Lead responsibility for developing and executing strategic and operational plans aimed at achieving both growth and profitability targets across Short Term Disability, Total Absence Management while leading the claims resolutions teams across the US
- Establish a next generation best in class claims operation to drive effective claims resolution and continuous process improvement while maximizing cost effectiveness
- Effectively manage internal and external partner relationships including all call center claim operations
- As a member of the senior leadership team, build relationships across all key stakeholders to ensure partnership and collaboration in driving strategy, execution, and sustainable growth
- Liaise with leaders inside and outside of Global Operations to ensure capability alignment with strategies and objectives
- Gather intelligence on internal and external claims best practices and ensure compliance regulation
- Collaborate with peers to establish and rollout consistent claims standards: policies, procedures and tools including defining technical rules for claims operations and develop appropriate claims metrics, KPIs and dashboards
- Define US performance standards and regularly monitor performance and risks/issues resolution plans
- Review and approve claims in excess of limits and/or complex cases
- Maintain repository of key claims documentation
- Define talent requirements including skills, training and certifications
- Participate in claims capability leader recruitment and assessment, support capability and capacity planning within claims operations
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Accomplished and highly capable insurance professional with 15+ years of experience in a senior management claim operations role with a consistent record of delivering superior results, preferably in the group insurance/employee benefits business.
- Must have demonstrated leadership skills that reflect experiences building a foundation for innovative change and establishing next generation claims servicing platforms, teams and processes; a significant change agent and innovator in claims operations.
- Possess significant claim/product management experience, including knowledge of other Employee Benefit programs (e.g., Worker’s Compensation) and relative Federal and State Laws
- Proven ability to maintain and develop relationships with key customers and intermediaries.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, both written and verbal; exceptional presentation skills required.
- Strong influence, negotiation and conflict resolution skills needed.
- Possess the ability to work in a matrix environment and manage multiple priorities and processes.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and possess strong project management skills.
- Possess excellent analytical, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Understands the market needs that influence the delivery of excellent Customer Service and can be proactive in modifying MetLife’s claims delivery to support customer value and operational efficiency.
- Possess a metric-driven focus combined with strong strategy development and execution skills
- A strong team builder dedicated to developing talent who understands that success is dependent upon the performance of the team and not individual team members. Able to create strong morale within the team and is committed to developing talented people to create a world class claims resolution operations
- High degree of business and financial acumen including budget management
- Undergraduate degree required, MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
- Reports to: SVP, Claims & Global COE
- Direct reports/team: 6-10 Directs/approximately 670 associates
- Key Stakeholders: Global Operations leaders
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with more than $587.7 billion in combined managed assets as of September 31, 2018. We are ranked #43 on the Fortune 500 list for 2018. In 2018, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the third year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
Our goal in everything we do is to offer customers truly differentiated value propositions that allow us to establish clear competitive advantages. We pride ourselves on being a trusted partner to our customers as they navigate life’s twists and turns. Visit us at www.metlife.com to learn more about our brand, history, and values.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Nearest Major Market: Tampa