POSITION TITLE: VP, Communications & Digital
REPORTS TO: Chief of Staff
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Communications Team
LOCATION: New York, NY
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL is a leading anti-hate organization. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of anti-Semitism and bigotry, its timeless mission is to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when acts of anti-Semitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism, delivering anti-bias education and fighting hate online, ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers from bias, discrimination or hate.
The Vice President of Communications & Digital (VP, C&D) will oversee all communications functions for ADL, including public relations and strategic communications, digital and social media, crisis communications, executive communications, and internal communications. The VP, C&D will serve on ADL’s management team and will play a leadership role in the organization by creating pro-active, communications strategies and plans in support of ADL’s mission and the transformation and growth of ADL’s brand, to raise the public profile of the organization, and to engage employees and other internal constituencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead all communications functions for the organization.
- Develop and execute communications, messaging, and digital content strategies, targeting mainstream and specialty press, to ensure a positive public image of ADL, its programs and initiatives, and its top executives. Ensure that the organization is reaching diverse external audiences at the international, national, regional and local level through broadcast, digital, print and radio.
- Supervise development of strategic messaging including narrative development, weekly and monthly talking points, and other messaging activities.
- Design and handle responsive messaging and lead crisis communications as necessary, whether prompted by internal developments or external events, to ensure immediate and effective responses across all communications channels.
- Oversee ADL’s continuous and effective engagement with the press and ensure constant booking of CEO and other ADL talent by building and maintaining relationships with key contacts including reporters, bloggers editorial boards and other decision makers in broadcast, online, print and radio.
- Recruit and lead a Communications and Digital team responsible for executing this work. Liaison with the appropriate board subcommittee to leverage volunteers in support of organizational objectives.
- Select, hire, and manage vendors and contractors as needed and ensure that projects are completed on time and at or under budget across multiple disciplines including graphic design firms, public relations, freelance writers, photographers, production vendors, etc.
- Develop and manage metrics to assess performance. Develop methods to provide regular reporting to the CEO and board.
- Work collaboratively and seamlessly with the VP, Brand & Marketing to ensure all communications (internal and external) are consistent with and supportive of the evolving ADL brand and key messaging to ADL’s various constituencies.
- Develop and implement an internal communications strategy that engages the hearts and minds of employees and board members/volunteers and ensures that internal messaging is aligned and consistent with external messaging and strategy; provide strategic counsel to the leadership team (especially the SVP, Talent & Knowledge) around internal communications.
- Drive Digital function for the organization
- Oversee ADL’s utilization of social platforms for communications and messaging, including channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Integrate social media monitoring and data-driven insights to understand ongoing developments on social channels, and develop rapid response campaigns as necessary
- Manage team of content developers and online marketers in support of messaging goals
- Collaborate with the VP, Brand and Marketing to support website improvements and other online initiatives
- Analyze effectiveness of media campaigns and iterate based on performance
- Represent ADL in External Environments - Represent the agency at private and public events and meetings as needed, including board meetings, meetings with major donors, and public speaking opportunities.
- Supervise Communications and Social Media teams
- Demonstrated experience in a senior communications role, a proven track record in public relations and digital communications, and experience managing the press in a dynamic and complex environment.
- Hands-on experience and success driving messaging across social media channels.
- Deep understanding of 21st century news cycle, including hands-on experience with managing crisis communications.
- Keen interest in consumer trends, especially as they relate to consumer brands, digital marketing, and demographics.
- A track record of success as a highly effective leader and coach who brings out the best in others by creating a culture of high standards, accountability, collaboration, and innovation.
- Intellectual flexibility and operational prowess to switch seamlessly between thinking about the big picture and granular details.
- Strategic acumen and intellectual creativity to develop out-of-box ideas.
- Strength in presentation development and delivery.
- Results-orientation and resourcefulness combined with high-standards.Gravitas and maturity with openness to direct feedback and coaching.
- High degree of self-confidence without high ego needs.
- Highest level of discretion.
- Outstanding communication skills, written and oral, with appropriate attention to detail.
- Fluent with MS Office and familiar with CRM systems.
- 10-15 years of professional experience in communications roles in corporate or nonprofit environments. Experience in a turnaround environment and/or leading a significant upgrading of a communications function is preferred.
- Campaign and/or political experience strongly preferred, optimally in the Executive branch or in a congressional or Senate office on Capitol Hill.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience required.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.