A fast growing, owner-operated window and door manufacturer is looking for a dynamic, experienced leader to serve as its first in-house General Counsel to shape the Company’s legal department, risk profile and drive creative solutions.
The Vice President and General Counsel will be an integral member of the Company’s senior management team, providing economic-oriented, risk-adjusted advice on the Company’s most important decisions. The role will report directly to the Company’s CEO. The Vice President and General Counsel will be responsible for creating and shaping the Company’s in-house legal function and providing primary oversight with the Company’s legal and compliance functions. The Vice President and General Counsel is expected to do more than just provide legal advice: he or she will be expected to be involved alongside the rest of senior management in the Company’s most material matters.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to build a legal and compliance capability while providing leadership and guidance to an experienced management team within a flexible, people-first organization. The ideal candidate is a solutions-oriented transactional attorney with a strong head for business. He or she will understand how to balance risk/reward, with a bias toward finding creative solutions to risk allocations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a key member of the Company’s executive team, participating in the initiation, development and execution of strategic planning and corporate policies.
- Provide sound counsel and advice to maximize opportunities and optimize risk in all material matters affecting the company.
- Provide counsel to senior management and the board on a broad range of legal matters, including corporate / commercial, product liability / warranty, employment, real estate, corporate finance, M&A, agency relationships, insurance, real estate, and any other matter involving legal issues that may affect the Company.
- Manage the Company’s outside legal counsel.
- Advise company leadership on existing and emerging legal issues.
- Identify the need for, develop and enforce policies, procedures and programs to address areas of risk and ensure compliance with the law.
- Draft and negotiate terms and conditions in the Company’s material legal agreements.
- Manage internal investigations.
- Help senior management understand and evaluate and optimize risk to assist in the decision-making process.
- Engage in and promote a respectful challenge culture.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- 10+ years of legal experience
- JD from an accredited law school
- Active member of a state bar and in good standing
- Strong economic and critical thinking skills
- Track record of providing sound judgment to senior level executives across a broad spectrum of legal issues (corporate law, litigation, labor law, intellectual property, etc)
- Ability to engage in meaningful and respectful challenge processes
- Experience as in-house commercial counsel dealing with customer and supplier issues, including negotiating commercial contracts
- Large law firm experience
- Significant experience managing external counsel
- Exposure to and experience with compliance issues
- M&A experience
- Product liability / warranty litigation experience
- Employment law experience
- Experience within a manufacturing business
- Corporate governance experience