The VP, Marketing is responsible for leading Harbor Freight’s marketing team. The group is responsible for building and evolving brand strategy, creating new marketing messages, attracting new customers, optimizing marketing mix, implementing appropriate marketing technologies, developing new packaging, and driving all other aspects of marketing for the company.
This senior leader closely collaborates with associates across the entire company to ensure Harbor Freight’s marketing helps the company achieve its business objectives. Additionally, this leader is responsible for identifying and developing talent within the marketing team and creating a one-team approach to everything the marketing team does.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive traffic and sales for the business with a keen eye for delivering ROI and bottom line profit.
- Sponsor the development and testing of new technologies that can drive retail traffic and support conversion at the point of sale.
- Work closely with the functional leaders of Merchandising and Product Management & Design to understand and communicate critical elements of the product offering across all channels and enhance the company’s unique selling proposition.
- Develop and implement a cohesive marketing plan to increase brand awareness.
- Continue to refine the company messaging and brand strategy to strengthen the relationship with existing customers and attract new ones.
- Continuously mine the database to profile and gain insight regarding the Harbor Freight customer preferences; anticipating future trends and significant new business opportunities.
- Build, drive, and protect a rewarding and engaging culture where an appreciation for tradition is balanced with a passion for continuous improvement. Drive our values that reward, promote, and encourage high performance while ensuring we always do the right thing for our people. Encourage a high level of trust and transparency across all levels and functions.
- Promote diversity in the workplace and ensure recruiting and development strategies attract and grow a diverse pool of candidates and associates. Elevate and institutionalize customer retention and new customer acquisition programs.
- Lead, motivate, manage and develop a high performing marketing team.
- Work closely with other senior leaders to explore and analyze new geographic markets, as well as new business opportunities to support the continued growth of the company.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the marketing group.
- Create processes and systems across the function in order to gain efficiencies and effectiveness in the marketing organization.
- Develop and manage dashboard and analytics that communicate status of marketing operations, projects, initiatives, etc.
- Additional duties as assigned by manager.
- Supervisory Responsibility - Direct and indirect: Exempt & Non-Exempt employees
- Organizational Scope – Works with various departments and outside parties
- Responsible for maintaining Confidential Information - yes
- Decision Making – Creates policy and resolves problems; Participate in planning business objectives
- Travel – less than 10% domestic travel; possible international travel
- Equipment Used – computer, printer, copier
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; an MBA is a plus.
- Minimum of 12 years of marketing experience in a customer centric, multi-channel retail business environment.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience successfully leading and managing individuals and teams
- Experience including retail, brand management, and catalog preferred; experience in consumer goods or service companies helpful.
- Demonstrated track record of success leveraging marketing as a key strategic tool in driving sales and delivering profit for the business.
- Experience assessing existing marketing tactics and approaches within the marketing organization and making improvements where necessary.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution.
- Proven ability to establish a strategic vision, inspire trust and loyalty and develop and motivate a high performing team.
- Facility in all aspects of marketing and general management, including P&L/financial management, advertising, promotion, direct mail, communications and consumer research.
- Experience managing internal and external advertising/promotions/ public relations.
- Track record of instituting organization and process.
- Specific depth of experience in brand management and creative leadership.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills including the ability to deliver effective and engaging presentations to a variety of audiences.
General office environment requiring ability to:
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift up to 15 lbs.