The VP, IP NA is a key leader within Sandoz responsible for strategic patent launch, IP BD&L support, and patent litigation.
You will manage a $15-30M USD budget and the relationship with external counsel. You will be a strategic business partner in the context of full IP matters and provides strategic legal and business insight to senior management, drives corporate objectives and growth and manages our top talent.
You will manage a team of approximately 10 patent attorneys, scientific advisors, paralegals and/or administrative staff; this includes the US and Canada IP organizations.
More specifically, you will:
- Lead a team of patent attorneys, paralegals and scientific advisors in all strategic aspects and key tactical aspects of patent launch and litigation. Lead the team to manage a $15-30 million USD budget (forecast, control). Ensure professional development of associates to support patent launch and litigation and build high-performing team.
- Apply deep expertise in US patent law and practice. §Apply strong knowledge of ANDA litigation, Hatch-Waxman Act and regulatory implications to product development and launch opportunities.
- Shape the global IP function, including ensuring that all members of the function have a working understanding of US IP and litigation issues. Contribute significantly to creation and implementation of Division IP strategies, policies, guidelines, and objectives.
- Take a leadership role with global functions to ensure US IP issues are addressed, and widely understood, including offering training.
- Apply knowledge of intersection of patent and antitrust law to achieve sound patent infringement litigation settlements. Direct/hands on involvement in important litigation issues.
- Function as an active participation in strategy, assessment and closing of BD&L/M&A deals to maximize understanding of IP (including Hatch-Waxman) value, concerns and strategy. Apply deep knowledge of business and healthcare industry to create and implement a strategic vision for the IP team in support of the business.
- Undertake IP-related communications to senior management, functional management, key stakeholders and US organization that clearly explains complex concepts and inspires confidence.
- Instill and champion quality and operational excellence standards for patent launch and litigation throughout the organization. Contribute cross-divisionally to IP direction and strategies, policy, guidelines and objectives.
- Select and manage relationship with external counsel including first hand monitoring of their quality and performance.
- Involve counterparts in Group IP, Group Competition/Antitrust, and the other divisions, as well as Head Global IP for Sandoz and Company on matters which require alignment and/or escalation.