Warehouse and Logistics Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations, dotted line to VP of Finance |Accounting | IT (for inventory responsibilities)
Education: B.S. in Business, Production Management, or Operations
Driver's License: Valid state license
Location: Henderson, CO
Travel: Occasional overnight travel may be required
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm. Occasional evening or weekend hours may be required
Physical Requirements: Must be able to: operate equipment, walk across distances within the plant environment, climb stairs, lift to 75 pounds occasionally
Supervises: Traffic Manager, Warehouse Coordinator (Omaha), and Warehouse Supervisor
At Birko, we take food safety seriously. Nothing is more important to us than making sure the food chain is secure, safe and pathogen free. The company has over 60 years of service to the food safety industry and manufactures more than 400 concentrated cleaning, sanitation, antimicrobial interventions and process chemical formulations.
Birko’s expertise and innovation in food safety is built on a strong technical foundation and our team of chemists and microbiologists are industry-leading experts. We supply over 60% of the Top 100 U.S. protein companies and 90% of the top 10 U.S. beef processors. Our penetration in the brewery sector is equally strong as evidenced by our many customers who are winners at the Great American Beer Fest! And in produce, our customers span the nation and include companies with household names and trusted products
The Warehouse and Logistics Manager is responsible for coordinating the storage, transportation, and delivery of goods company wide. The incumbent in this role will be responsible for scoping and implementing applicable management systems, reducing freight costs, increasing freight revenue, and optimizing stock levels for improved cost and efficiency. In addition, the plant operates within the structure of ISO 9001: 2015, and procedures, policies and operations must meet these guidelines. Safety is an important component of the position and the incumbent is expected to develop and instill a culture of safety in the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Analyzes current structure, delivery schedules and procedures to develop and utilize the most economically advantageous and efficient means of receiving, storing, picking, transferring and delivering Birko’s products.
- Supervise and direct logistics and warehouse personnel to ensure accurate receipt, storage, inventory, picking and staging of customer orders in a safe and efficient manner. This includes hiring, firing, training, coaching, performance evaluations and disciplinary action.
- Ensures a safe working environment by ensuring the warehouse is organized, clean and provides appropriate PPE.
- Manage freight expense for all business channels, including carrier invoice approvals and oversight, and periodic freight RFQs.
- Develop and implement efficient inventory management procedures. Document and train key personnel to efficiently manage all inventory transactions and execute established procedures.
- Recommend, Scope and Oversee Implementation of Systems (WMS and TMS) that will add value and improvement to the cost and performance of the company.
- Warehouse design and layout to optimize put-away and pick efficiency
- Decrease cost and optimize inventory levels at all warehouse locations
- Establish and monitor SOP for all warehouses including (but not limited to) optimum stocking levels for both raw material and finished goods, product FIFO/FEFO rotation and product expiration dates.
- Inventory accuracy and cycle count strategies; striving toward minimal variances
- Support of the daily traffic, logistics and warehouse activities as necessary
- Backup for receiving verification and cycle-count activities.
Birko is an ISO 9001 Certified company. That means there are Standard Operating Procedures that are inherent to our success as a company. All positions require the following:
- Own, update, and write procedures for your department following Birko’s Doc Control Process
- Be responsible for completing corrective actions by due date provided by ISO Coordinator
- Embrace and Support ISO 9001
- Identify risks and opportunities in your department as outline in Birko’s risks and opportunities process
- Ensure specific procedures for your department are followed
- Ensure employees understand and follow procedures for the department
- Ensure that written procedures mirror actual practice
- Understand your department’s role in conforming to ISO9001 standard
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- B.S. in Business, Production Management, Operations or related field
- Familiarity with chemicals or HazMat certification a plus
- 5 years of Logistics/Warehouse Management experience
- 3 years supervisory experience
- Knowledge of transportation regulations, specifically related to Hazardous Waste
- Strong negotiation and problem resolution skills.
- Proficient in MS Office applications
Please note, Birko conducts pre-employment and random drug screens. In addition, there will be a pre-employment background check.