The Warehouse Manager is accountable for the execution of departmental goals, objectives, and continuous improvement initiatives in the Shipping department. This entails leading the day-to-day operations including the effective and efficient planning and distribution of finished goods, labor utilization, quality control, safety, sanitation, employee development, and budgetary and inventory cost control.
- Supervises the entire operation including logistics, loading, transportation, labor management, quality control, safety, sanitation, and day to day administration of the operation.
- Manages inventory allocation, stock rotations, and reconciliation of finished goods in the warehouse including inventory accuracy in SAP system.
- Ensures optimal use of resources including labor, material handling equipment, appointment system, facility layout, and SAP tools.
- Identifies new means of increasing loading output, optimizing labor, and utilizing equipment to achieve present production targets.
- Sets and monitors production targets and/or key performance indicators and achieves targets within acceptable time and cost parameters.
- Ensures efficient solutions, personnel or operational in nature, are provided for completion of targets and objectives of the organization, personnel, and work units.
- Identifies training needs and develops training plans for the shipping team including hourly and salary personnel.
- Ensures safe operation of the warehouse and compliance with food safety regulations and health and safety standards.
- Oversees preventive and corrective maintenance guidelines for decreasing equipment downtime.
- Develops and implements process improvement in all areas of operation including development and implementation of work instructions and policies and procedures.
- Acts as liaison between plant personnel and corporate support and ensure timely and accurate communication.
- Identifies and manages risk by handling and analyzing administrative and operational issues and providing solutions respectively.
- Prepares, implements, and monitors budget for the department’s operation.
- Communicates with, administers, and monitors agreements with third parties such as carriers, trucking companies, suppliers, etc.
- Reports to upper management team about the successes and failures of the department and proposes solutions to increase the efficiency of the organization.
- Demonstrates leadership, communication, and collaborative skills.
- Safeguard company assets and communicate with security personnel on a continual basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Plant Manager or Operations Group.
Key Attributes for Success
- Ability to read, identify, calculate and record data to perform, prepare narrative reports.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrate good mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to give direction and provide leadership to team.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in decision making.
- Ability to climb and work at heights.
Knowledge and understanding of warehouse scanning systems with SAP preferred.
Equipment Used (must be adept in and skilled in utilizing and managing these types of equipment / tools or processes used)
- Conveyer and label applicator
- Computer terminal
- Hand Held Scanner
- Non air-conditioned warehouse with moderate noise level.
- May need to work across shifts, weekends and overtime.
- Respond to and cover emergency callouts.
- B.S.B.A with focus on Supply Chain Management or equivalent experience required.
5 - 10 years warehouse operations/material handling experience with increasing responsibilities.
2 – 5 years’ experience managing a 3PL warehouse or DC.
- All experience should encompass working under OSHA parameters, high quality orientation and a strong working relationship with all levels of the organization to foster a highly engaged workforce.