Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Job Title: Web Developer
PBA is looking for a passionate web developer with a WordPress background to join our digital team. As PBA’s Web Developer, you’ll take our underlying framework to maintain and create unique and user friendly experiences.
The Web Developer will be maintaining heavy-traffic websites built in WordPress and hosted with Pantheon. Responsibilities include working with the team to produce quality editorial experiences and tools-- including streaming video, video on demand, template-driven publishing, prototyping, social media integration, and automated syndication of content and web analytics. Additionally, this position will help build and maintain tools for the organization and workflow, and be able to dive in and learn new tools and systems.
Applicants must have excellent communication and project management skills with the ability to work on a diverse arrangement of projects on varying deadlines while keeping and maintaining positive working relationships.
- Maintain cross-browser, fully functional web pages while strictly adhering to industry standards in development
- Contribute to task identification, work effort estimates, and work schedules for development and maintenance activities.
- Research and introduce new technologies
- Provide ideas for technical or workflow / process improvements.
- Create new applications, plugins, and techniques in order to increase the efficiency of our current processes
- Work cooperatively with other developers, project managers, and graphic designers to bring their visions to life
- Manage WordPress projects from staging to launch
- Ensure complete, fluid-width responsive design for all device sizes
- Provide development and support of digital systems and mobile apps
- Test and validate code provided by vendors
- Support non-technical staff members and help resolve content management system-related issues and other related (technical) issues.
- Complete tasks within a given timeline and update status per project using our internal systems
- Enhance our website by producing/contributing to code and libraries
- Use varying content management systems, including WordPress, to configure and customize PBA websites
- Collaborate with product managers and web producers to support site operations and meet project deadlines
- Review new code (self and vendor) following web standards and strict QA guidelines
- Review standards of implementation to ensure top-quality strategies on all digital products
- Ability to write quality documentation to support the work of other developers and vendors
- Understands responsibility to consider and interpret internal and external stakeholders in all digital projects
- Comfortable handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Open to learning new technologies and creating new user experiences on websites, apps, and streaming products
- Daily Testing deliverables against a range of criteria including cross-browser, cross-platform, and/or cross-device compatibility.
- Ensures applications meet business requirements and approved brand, security, programming and support standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 4-5 years PHP/WordPress developer experience designing and building websites
- Familiarity with NPM and build processes
- Experience using version control (specifically Git) to manage coding projects
- Knowledge of Analytics/Reporting tools (Google Analytics, Tableau, etc)
- A knowledge of SEO architecture.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- High attention-to-detail and ability to multitask
- Good collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Able to identify opportunities, take initiative and think through future implications
- Passion for the mission of Public Broadcasting (edited)
Strong presenting skills, detail oriented and must possess excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and possess desire to achieve, with an ability to be a self-starter. Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
Please send resume and link(s) to your portfolio or past work to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org