This position has 24-hour accountability and is responsible for the delivery of high-quality and cost-effective health care while achieving positive clinical outcomes, and patient/family and employee satisfaction. He/she is responsible for the overall operations, integration, coordination and direction of nursing and patient care for the center starting a 5 PM on Friday and turn over responsibility to Center Nurse Executive at 7 AM on Monday. Additionally, he/she is responsible for ensuring that care delivery is consistent with the mission, vision, values and policies of Genesis HealthCare and in accordance with accepted standards of practice, state and federal regulations and licensing requirements. This includes mentoring and educating nurses, working with physicians and other medical professionals, and serving as a resource to all staff within the Center regarding the quality of services provided. This professional may also provide direct patient care along with the other staff nurses to maintain current skills.
1.1 Collaborates with the Center Nurse Executive in maintaining adequate nursing coverage to provide safe nursing care for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week;
1.2 Effectively utilizes existing workforce limiting use of overtime and agency personnel;
1.3 Participates in staff recruitment (i.e. Assist in the interviewing and selection of nursing personnel);
1.4 Assesses the work performance of nursing staff as it relates to their job description, unit standards of care and goals of the individual;
1.5 Implements the Individual Performance Improvement Plan for staff whose performance does not meet center expectations, and when necessary, recommends or initiates disciplinary action;
1.6 Conducts staff meetings as needed and provides updates to CNE;
1.7 Collaborates with other departments to provide timely effective care consistent with individuals' needs, choices and preferences;
1.8 Promotes a culture of safety to ensure a healthy practice and living environment;
1.9 Participates in Center's nursing committees as requested;
1.10 Participates in meetings to address patient care, survey and/or standards of care issues;
1.11 Participates in Center meetings such as Utilization Management, Customer at Risk, Care Planning, Quality Improvement, etc.;
1.12 Submits requests for the budget;
1.13 Stays and works beyond scheduled shift if needed to meet state staffing requirements and/or needs of patients;
2. Clinical Leadership:
2.1 Plans, organizes, directs, supervises and evaluates nursing care to achieve clinical and financial outcomes;
2.2 Provides professional guidance and supervision to non-professional staff;
2.3 Ensures patient care assignments are consistent with staff competencies, scope of practice and the needs of the patients.
2.4 Participates with the interdisciplinary team in developing, implementing and evaluating ways to achieve patient goals and minimize rehospitalizations;
2.5 Ensures Point Click Care (PCC) is utilized according to the Business Processes;
2.6 Contacts attending physician to obtain orders when needed, and as indicated (i.e., admission, change in condition, etc.);
2.7 Ensures that Physician Orders are followed as prescribed;
2.8 Oversees medication management to ensure adequate supplies and that all medications are handled in accordance Genesis policy;
2.9 Ensures that patient's attending physician and family or responsible party are promptly notified of any significant change in the patient's health condition;
2.10 Creates an environment that is respectful, team oriented and responsive to the concerns of staff, patients and families;
2.11 Ensures communication between licensed nursing staff and CNAs during and between shifts;
2.12 Assures shift-to-shift communication between incoming and outgoing nursing staff;
2.13 Serves as a role model in the delivery of direct patient care using the nursing process;
2.14 Provides patient care when required;
2.15 Ensures discharge planning process is in place and provides consultation as needed;
2.16 Ensures complete and prompt reporting of incidents, accidents, and adverse events to Center Executive Director and Center Nurse Executive.
2.17 Investigates patient/family complaints and takes appropriate actions to bring to resolution.
3.1 Identifies staff educational needs and communicates to the CNE.
3.2 Evaluates and provides feedback to the NPE or Practice Development Specialist (PDS) and to the individual staff member regarding effectiveness of education and/or practice development programs;
3.3 Participates in the evaluation of staff competency;
3.4 Demonstrates, teaches and evaluates nursing skills utilized in direct patient care of the unit's specific patient population;
3.5 Promotes professional development and career opportunities for nursing staff;
4. Quality Improvement:
4.1 Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of quality improvement activities for the Center and/or unit as requested;
4.2 Prepares written reports, reviews records and participates in needed data collection as indicated;
4.3 Reviews clinical records of patients with unplanned rehospitalizations to identify areas in need of improvement;
4.4 Ensures that patients' and residents' accident/incident, adverse event and grievances/concerns are fully documented, investigated, reported and addressed in accordance with Genesis policies and procedures and the Federal/State rules and regulations;
5. Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive Protected Health Information (PHI) at all times;
1. Complies with and promotes adherence to applicable legal requirements, standards, policies and procedures including but not limited to those within the Compliance and Ethics Program, Standard/Code of Conduct, Federal False Claims Act and HIPAA.
2. Provides leadership and support for the Compliance and Ethics Program within management area.
3. Ensures timely and accurate reporting and responses to compliance-related issues and monitors the implementation of corrective action plans related to such issues.
4. Collaborates with the CNE to ensure that weekend staff participates in orientation and training programs including but not limited to all required compliance courses and relevant policies and procedures, and that such training is properly documented. Participates in compliance and other required training programs.
5. Provides open lines of communication regarding compliance issues within management area and access to the Integrity Line and ensures that there is no retaliation against staff who report suspected incidences of non-compliance. Promptly reports concerns and suspected incidences of non-compliance to supervisor, Compliance Liaison or to the Compliance Officer via the Integrity Hotline.
6. Participates in monitoring and auditing activities and investigations, and implementing quality assurance and performance improvement processes, as required.
7. Completes performance reviews as requested and contributes to compensation and promotion decisions based on the accomplishment of established standards that promote adherence to compliance and quality standards.
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL/VOCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: 1. Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. * Associate Degree in Nursing, 3 years of nursing experience. * Diploma, 3 years of nursing experience. * BSN, 2 years nursing experience. 2. Successful completion of experience in leadership (i.e. head nurse, supervisor, etc.) for a minimum of one year. 3. Current licensure by the State Board of Examiners of Nurses in the Center's state. 4. This position requires that the employee is able to read, write, speak and understand the spoken English language to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our patients and visitors at the work site when responding to their medical and physical needs. 5. Must provide verification of TST (tuberculin skin test) as required by state law and in accordance with Company policy. TSTs will be administered at the work site if required. 6. Maintains current BLS/CPR certification (All SNFs and Behavioral Centers; ALFs/ILFs as required by State).
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled