Vigor expects all employees to enhance the atmosphere in which they work by living the Vigor Values every day.
Truth: We seek the truth, and we speak the truth
Responsibility: We act on what we know is right
Evolution: We seek mastery, and adapt to a changing world
Love: We care about the people we work with, and the world we live in
Vigor Alaska operates the Ketchikan Shipyard on behalf of the City of Ketchikan, the Ketchikan Gateway Borough the Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority – and on behalf of our customers.
We offer top-notch and expanding facilities in southern southeastern Alaska, in our state’s fifth largest city along the famed Inland Passage. Our experience, like the waters around us, runs deep.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Successfully performs work individually, as a member of a single craft crew, or a multi-craft work crew.
- Complies with craft and shipyard safety and environmental measures.
- Works from ship specifications, work orders and applicable working drawings and blueprints, i.e., form, shape, fit, and weld on vessels.
- Researches and suggests solutions to conditions requiring comprehensive condition found reports (CFRs).
- Performs burning and effectively uses scarfing tip for clean up, bevel parts, etc.
- Performs Arc welding - SMAW, FCAW, GMAW.
- Performs carbon arc gouging for weld preparation and cleanup.
- Properly cares for and safely uses hand and power tools.
- Coordinates the performance and completion of job specifications
ESSENTIAL SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES. Incumbent performs similar work in all areas of the Yard as the need arises.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Communicates effectively, work independently or in a group.
- Ability to do basic math, i.e. add, subtract, divide and multiply, including fractions.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Thorough knowledge of marine fitting including compound shapes.
- Ability to do square footage and weight calculations if required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- 2-6 years relevant work experience.
- Proven skills, work history and/or applicable education will be considered in lieu of work experience.
Proficient in both Fire Watch and Associate 1 job duties. Trains and assists with erecting and dismantling staging. Assists with and/or performs basic pipe bolting under the direction of a Journey Level employee or Supervisor. May perform Associate 1 or Fire Watch duties. Must acquire three (3) additional Ship Repair Skills to progress to the next level.
Proficient in Fire Watch, Associate 1 and Associate 2 job duties. Trains and assists with rigging under the direction of a Journey Level employee or Supervisor. Assists with and/or performs mechanical bolting under the direction of a Journey Level employee or Supervisor. May perform Fire Watch, Associate 1 or Associate 2 duties. Must acquire three (3) additional Ship Repair Skills to progress to the next level.
Proficient in Fire Watch, Associate 1, Associate 2, and Associate 3 job duties. Requires general supervision during performance of primary skill, but is able to perform job duties of A-1 through A-3 with limited supervision. (work history and demonstrated proficiency in single skill or trade). Must acquire three (3) additional Ship Repair Skills and 1- certification to progress to the next level.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Welder -- Certifiable in 11018, dual shield and SMAW.
- Four hour fire watch certification
- HAZWOPER- First Responder Awareness Level.
Sitting, standing, walking, crouching, kneeling/crawling, stooping, twisting, climbing, balancing, reaching, handling/grasping, fingering/feeling, pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Talking, hearing, vision, depth perception, color vision, field of vision.
- Interaction/communication with others: Frequently- Interacts with others to ensure ongoing safety of operation. May work with several individuals in a confined space.
- Works alone/independently: Frequently- Works in the presence of other individuals performing duties.
- Directs/supervises others: Not Required.
- Repetitive work: Work is similar on a day to day basis.
- Attention to detail: Must perform all tasks in compliance with regulatory agency standards.
- Flexibility: May move from one job to another, unexpectedly.
- Other mental/psychological demands: Works in a noisy environment, and works at heights.
- Works indoors: Frequently- Works indoors exposed to temperature variances, vibrations, humidity, chemicals, dust and noise.
- Works outdoors: Frequently- Works on shipboard exposed to typical outdoor weather.
- Safety equipment required: Wears welding helmet, long pants, long sleeved shirt, eye protection, hearing protection, respirator, hard hat, and leather shoes.
- Other Exposures: Smoke, acids, degreasing cleaners, fumes, free silica, asbestos, dust, weld flash, paints, solvents, oil and grease.
- Operation of equipment/tools/vehicles: Uses grinders, hand/power tools, air torches, welding machines, comealong, chainfall, hammer, wedges, wire feeders, compressed gas tanks, plate shears, automatic multihead burning machine, hydraulic press and punch, large and small plate rolls, carbon saw, large surface slab for securing fabrication, overhead and jib cranes and rigging, drill presses and a complete range of handtools.
- Required hygiene standards: Per company standards.
- Other: None
Must have the ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.
Vigor and its wholly owned subsidiaries provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veterans, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vigor complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, benefits, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.