Epsilon Systems Mission Readiness Group is currently seeking a full-time Welder Specialist in Portsmouth, VA.
Summary: Performs various welding processes to repair, modify and install various pipes, structures, foundations and fittings associated with shipboard hydraulic, pneumatic and water systems. Selects proper materials and requirements to perform welding functions. Fabricates and installs fixtures and jigs required for welding process alignments.
- Reports to the Production Manager. Once assigned to a project, reports directly to the project Foreman in the performance of his/her responsibilities. In the absence of the Foreman, he/she will take responsibility for the job.
- Strictly adheres to corporate, federal, state and local safety regulations prior to setting up or operating any machinery.
- Ensures that all Epsilon Systems Mission Readiness Group Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) are worn and that all damaged PPE is discarded.
- Reads and understands Epsilon Systems Mission Readiness Group PPE Policy.
- Reads and interprets blueprints to plan setup and operation of the machine shop equipment prior to commencing the operation.
- Lays out material prior to performing machining operations to prevent possible errors.
- Machines parts to close tolerances ensuring finish requirements of the drawings are achieved.
- Maintains good housekeeping practices; turning off machines when not in use, disposing of waste properly, sweeping the area, etc.
- Returns tools/equipment to proper location and reports any lost, missing, stolen or damaged items to the Tool Room Attendant in accordance with Epsilon Systems Mission Readiness Group Instructions.
- Qualifies as a Welder in accordance with Epsilon Systems Mission Readiness Group Instructions.
- Ensures that all requirements of the Epsilon Systems Mission Readiness Group Quality Assurance Manual are followed when invoked by QA Workbook, Work Package (WP), Work Instructions (WI) and/or other guidance given by management.
- Follows detailed repair procedures and instructions (e.g.; QA packages steps, RECs, CWPs, FWPs, TGIs etc.) required completing the production operations.
- Notifies Foreman of any unsatisfactory condition(s) identified during the production operation (i.e.; repair, modification, etc.).
- Reads and understands advanced welding terminology, blueprints, drawings and schematics to plan installation, modification or repair prior to commencing the process.
- Fabricates and installs fixtures, jigs, supports and targets to ensure proper alignment during welding processes.
- Selects welding filler materials, joint design, proper heat ranges and most effective or required welding process/procedure to ensure quality welding operations IAW TWD.
- Ensures control and assumes responsibility for Level I material controls in accordance with Epsilon Systems Mission Readiness Group Instructions.
- Expertly performs all tasks required as a Welder.
- Provides mentoring to junior craftsman.
- Produces quality welds, including pipe, in difficult or adverse conditions and is proficient in multiple welding procedures/procedures.
- Performs work outside of trade if necessary.
- High school diploma/equivalent with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional vocational courses or technical school graduate; and/or military and/or civilian experience with welding operations in a repair department or shipyard or fabrication shop.
- 8 years’ experience as a welder.
- Qualifies as a Welder/Workmanship Inspector in accordance with Epsilon Systems -Mission Readiness Group Work Instructions and welding procedures.
- Must be able to understand and perform the basic set up, adjustment, and operation of various welding equipment and hand tools used in the trade.
- Must be qualified in more than 15 welding/brazing processes to include flux core welding.
- Must be qualified in Automated welding processes to include exotic metals such as Inconnel, Titanium, Duplex Stainless, Ferrilium.
- Ability to obtain and maintain access to US Navy ships and government facilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work independently or in a group.
- Ability to do basic math, i.e. add, subtract, divide and multiply.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
Current DoD Secret Security Clearance
ADA Notations: Involves heavy lifting, frequent stooping or bending and possible working assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces or beneath machinery. Work conditions vary from indoors to outdoor, very hot to very cold.
Epsilon Systems Solutions, Inc. and its subsidiaries are proud to be Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veterans.