Why Join Altec?
If you’re considering a career with Altec, Inc., there’s never been a better time to join us! Our Company was founded based upon values that place the customer first, and view people as our greatest strength. Altec has continued to grow, utilizing the same basic values, and over the years, those values have helped us to earn the trust and confidence of our customers worldwide. We remain committed to total customer satisfaction in everything we do. That’s why today, Altec is an innovative, financially sound company that is setting the standard of excellence in design, manufacturing and service; and that’s why you can rely on us to provide you with the stability of a well managed company.
Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
At Altec, advanced technology efforts are aimed, without exception, at helping customers work “Safer and Smarter.” Altec invests more resources than any other manufacturer in the advancement of safety, reliability, uptime and low cost of ownership.
Our Values Sustain Our Vision:
Altec continues to pursue a singular vision: To be recognized by customers as the preferred supplier of products, services and solutions in all markets we serve. Our values sustain that vision, our goals build upon it and our associates help to achieve it. Altec’s values are the cornerstone of our corporate culture and every Altec associate is considered an integral part of Team Altec.
Our Values (in alphabetical order): Customer First, Enjoyment of Work, Family, Financial Stability, Integrity, People Are Our Greatest Strength, Quality, Spiritual Development, Teamwork.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To prepare, assemble and install vehicle components to required specifications. Perform welding and metal preparation tasks such as sanding and grinding configurations.
- Use and conduct proper care of PPE.
- Read and interpret blueprints and weld symbols to determine sequence and methods of assembling components.
- Read and interpret work orders.
- Use basic hand tools such as tape measurer and specialty equipment.
- Learn and operate all equipment within the work area (cell).
- Perform rework as required.
- Willing to move to other work areas in order to support production needs. (Cross-train)
- Lay out and mark dimensions and reference lines on material applying knowledge of shop math and layout techniques.
- Perform Mig welding by using a variety of arc and gas welding equipment.
- Inspect assembly/components for conformance of specifications.
- Trim, file, grind, sand, deburr, buff and smooth surfaces using hand tools and portable power tools.
- Follow established safety, environmental and quality policies, procedures and practices.
- Maintain work area and shop tools/equipment.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and skills required
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Vocational training is desired.
- AWS D.1.1 weld certification preferred.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend required.
- Basic computer usage knowledge required.
- Ability to read tape measures, blue prints, and schematics required.
- Proficient knowledge of the following required.
- Keep a clean work area (5S).
- Assist co-workers and group leads as needed.
- Participate in RCI events.
- Knowledge of Altec programs and/or systems.
OTHER POSITION SPECIFICATIONS:
- Keep a clean work area (5S)
- Assist co-workers and group leads as needed
- Clean up and dispose of any trash generated while performing job responsibilities.
- Perform all other duties as required / assigned.
- Verbal & written communication skills required
- Mental abilities: Reading, calculation, measuring, planning, multi-tasking
- Environmental conditions: Exposure to noise, cold, heat, strong smells
- Must have a good attitude, be team oriented & work well with others
Responsibility for Safety:
• Safety In everything we do
Responsibility to Prevent Errors:
• Ensures appropriate reviews have been performed as needed for high quality
• Continuous attention to all job functions ensuring quality products
Communication with Others:
• Requires outside and inside contacts to carry out company policy and programs; Improper handling will have considerable effect on operational results; Must often deal with matters requiring explanation, persuasion and obtaining of approvals
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
• Retirement 401(k) Program
• Vacation and Holidays
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Tuition Assistance Program
• Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
• Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.