Evaluates welding requirements to determine the most cost effective welding application then defines the process and any fixture requirements
- Develop laser welding techniques and procedures used in production.
- Resolve production issues related to laser welding processes.
- Select and document appropriate laser welding equipment and settings.
- Work with manufacturing team to create process control documentation for each welding operation.
- Implementation of ultrasonic testing for weld porosity, cracks and off-position welds.
- Work with quality team to create and coordinate testing activities and reporting requirements.
- Responsible for designs and specifications of welding fixtures.
- Provide technical guidance and expertise on welding related issues.
- Research, develop and test new welding methods, processes and procedures.
- Collaborate with Production and Development Engineers in the design and development of new products.
- Test and evaluate new materials and weld joints.
- Works with Manufacturing and Engineering to determine potential applications for laser welding for future technology savings to meet customer requirements i.e. decrease weight, improved mpg.
- Ensures that laser welding cells are utilized safely and to improve productivity and quality of parts.
- Analyze, develop and achieve precision weld requirements for parts pertaining to dimensions and tolerances of finished work-piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
- Develop, teach and maintain Precitec weld monitoring system.
- Programs, tools and operates robot during initial production to verify accuracy of machine settings and programmed data.
- Verifies conformance of finished work-piece to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Troubleshoots programming, fixtures and production related issues as necessary by operating and/or observing equipment to detect malfunctions or non-conforming conditions and adjusts machine controls as required.
- Benchmarks and monitors daily production processes on laser welding cells.
- Develops procedures and work instructions related to the laser welding process across multiple part numbers/programs.
- Trains set-up personnel on production, quality and safety procedures associated with laser welding.
- Performs all job functions to meet acceptable quality and performance standards.
- Communicates with other departments to coordinate activities, eliminate problems and facilitate work flow.
- Follows all safety procedures and wears safety equipment or apparel as required.
- The employee may be required to follow other job-related instructions and duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
- Responsible for communicating when there is an issue affecting the Environment, Health, Safety or Quality to his / her respective Manager
. • 3-4 years related experience in laser welding manufacturing
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering
• Strong drive to succeed and a willingness to take projects and tasks to completion.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
Weld Safety Officer Certification
7 years related experience in laser welding manufacturing
Bachelor of Science in Engineering with a focus on welding/metallurgy
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world’s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Driveline is the market leader in the development and delivery of contemporary and electrified driveline systems and solutions. With a comprehensive global footprint, we design, develop, manufacture and integrate an extensive range of driveline technologies for over 90% of the world’s automotive manufacturers.
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.