Welding Technology Instructor
Job Code: 1258
Department: Welding Technology
Division: Career and Technical Education
Reports to: Dean of Career and Technical Education
Positions Supervised: Students
Location: Lansing Correctional Facility, Lansing, KS
Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) is seeking a full-time instructor to teach Welding Technology courses at the Lansing Correctional Facility (LCF). The TEC Welding Technology Program located at LCF, is an AWS SENSE participating program, offering Certificate A to incarcerated citizens housed at the facility. This position is solely occupied by one (1) person who will be located at the facility, and the successful applicant will be responsible for the setup of the program. On occasion, other KCKCC personnel will be at the facility to work with the students on items pertaining to the institution, career counseling, financial aid, job placement, tutoring, etc. The position will consist of teaching Welding, Cutting, Safety, and Blueprint Reading. Applicant must have knowledge and experience in all areas.
- Teach courses in all major welding and cutting processes as well as safety and blueprint reading
- Maintain and troubleshoot equipment as needed
- Plan lessons and activities that will enable students to master skills and complete course objectives.
- Work with other faculty to ensure quality environment for students
- Work and communicate with Department of Corrections personnel as needed and appropriate
- Maintain student records in accordance with state and federal laws
- Follow appropriate safety practices as they pertain to welding industry
- Participate in professional development to continually improve personal skills and the Welding Technology Program
- Assist with welding community outreach and Advisory Committee recruitment and support
- Other duties as assigned by Lead Welding Instructor and Dean of Career and Technical Education
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- High School diploma
- Welding Certificate from a Community College, Technical School or other institution
- Minimum Three (3) years’ experience in Welding and Fabrication
- Certificate in and/or experience with SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, OFC, PAC, CAC-A, and Oxy-Fuel welding/brazing
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Associate degree or higher
- OSHA outreach Trainer card
- American Welding Society Certified Welding Educator and/or Certified Welding Inspector or ability to obtain those certifications
- Five (5) years or more of Welding experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of transformer and inverter type welding power sources
- Education or training experience
Stand, walk and bend over, reach overhead, grasp, push, pull and move, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds to waist height. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and occasionally push or lift items. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work a variable schedule/hour to meet operational needs. May require evening and weekend hours.
Pay grade level: NA
Compensation: Is commensurate with education outlined in the collective bargaining contract.
Employee category: Faculty
Position Type: Full-Time Faculty- 212-Days
FLSA status: Exempt
Visit for a list of available positions.
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the initial screening date, minimum qualifications, and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- If the position lists a required transcript (during the application process) unofficial transcripts may be submitted.
- However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.