The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Regional Communications Manager to focus on developing and executing media strategies to advance our legislative, environmental and advocacy priorities along the Pacific coast and in the interior west, with specific focus on Nevada, Colorado and California. The Regional Communications Manager will develop proactive communications plans, messaging strategy and press materials that achieve media results, support advocacy goals and promote NRDC’s experts as leaders in local, regional and national environmental policy, litigation, and advocacy space. The position will function within the institution’s national media team, working in close coordination with campaigners from NRDC’s Center for Political Advocacy, to elevate NRDC’s profile in these states, as well as attract new supporters and allies to our advocacy efforts. This individual must possess a strong work ethic and commitment to NRDC’s core values and mission. They will identify and work with local, national and sometimes international media outlets and cultivate relationships with reporters, bloggers, editors and other media professionals to publicize and communicate NRDC’s strategic priorities. The Western Regional Communications Manager will also coordinate closely with various coalitions to advance NRDC’s work.
- Manage media operations for targeted city, state and local campaigns, as assigned by the National Media Director.
- Work with legal, scientific and other advocacy program staff to develop effective message and communications strategies for a range of environmental and energy policy goals.
- Regularly conduct targeted outreach to local, state, regional and national reporters and bloggers
- Develop key relationships with press and secure top tier media hits.
- Respond in real time to media inquiries on a range of issues (from TV networks and cable television to the trade press and activists-bloggers).
- Prepare and place news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and other editorial products.
- Collaborate with other environment groups on joint efforts.
- Create and implement crisis communication strategy as needed.
- Act as on-the-record spokesperson for NRDC as needed.
- Provide media relations coaching and training to staff and prepare NRDC experts for interviews and other public appearances.
- Oversee and mentor communications program assistant to meet media team’s goals.
- Minimum of 5 years or more of relevant experience in journalism, media relations and/or communications.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master's degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external relations.
- Excellent news writing and editing skills required, preferably involving public policy, with an emphasis on science and/or environmental issues.
- Strong organizational and project management skills essential.
- Strong relationships with major regional and national reporters and bloggers are a plus.
- Proven record of securing placements with traditional and digital media.
- Strong social media skills/understanding.
- Thorough knowledge of social media tools, including Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of media database tools, including Cision/Vocus, are a plus.
- Spanish-language skills are a plus.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org