Portland Rescue Mission
Department: New Life Ministry for Women and Children
Work Location: Shepherd's Door
Reports to: Program Manager
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Effective Date: March 2019
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday, 8AM - 5PM, other evenings, weekends, and on call availability as needed
Pay Range: Salary depending on experience
Shepherd’s Door is a community dedicated to restoring women and children who are in great need of healing from life crises and addiction. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, relational environment that cultivates sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, life skills training and spiritual formation in a retreat-like setting.
In New Life Ministries we take a highly-relational approach to growth, addressing women and children’s’ physical, emotional and spiritual needs. Join a team that serves together to model Christ-like living and achieve lasting transformation in the women and children we serve.
General Description of Work
The Women’s Growth Leader is responsible to oversee, develop and coordinate the growth of a Family Group of program participants (around 15 women) through integrating addictions recovery, spiritual formation and life skills training all aiming toward the result of Christ-centered, life transformation. The Women’s Growth Leader will work in coordination other staff and volunteers to implement the various components of New Life Ministry for women while creating a safe, highly relational and Christ-centered ministry environment. This person will be passionate and skilled in discerning and coaching women to success in Christian discipleship and addictions recovery. In addition, this person will be a strong communicator and mobilizer of staff and volunteers so that others are equipped to best serve each woman. CADC licensing is preferred.
- Be engaged in and oversee the integration of addictions recovery, spiritual formation, life skills and vocational training all aiming toward life transformation in Christ for all Shepherd’s Door participants.
- Oversee program participation and progress for approximately 15 women, meeting with participants one-on-one weekly.
- Discern spiritual and recovery growth for each woman in Family Group and reflect progress on growth plan to determine forward movement in program.
- Document all weekly one-on-one’s, participant progress and significant interactions through DAP case noting, growth plans and checklists in Resident Tracker Database.
- Keep Resident Tracker Database up-to-date for each participant profile within Family Group.
- Communicate with and effectively mobilize a variety of staff and volunteers to best meet the needs of each woman - addressing core struggles and leverage core strengths.
- Proactively and relationally engage with participants in the areas of behavior transformation using all New Life Ministry growth tools to exhort towards Christ-like living and healthy relationships.
- Teach and lead curriculum, classes and groups for all participants at Shepherd’s Door according to the needs of the community.
- Oversee all program coordination needs for each Family Group member (e.g. monthly reports to legal parties, medication approval, absence request approval, coordination of care with outside providers).
- Support the equipping of other staff, volunteers and church partners for significant ministry.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Demonstrate and minister as a highly relational, Christ-centered, joyful servant.
- Support ministry coverage at Shepherd’s Door, being available for necessary program operations (e.g. UA/BA, exits, med call, crisis).
- Fully integrate Life Skills, Addictions Recovery and Spiritual Formation so that each participant is fully equipped for life after Shepherd’s Door.
- Integrate and seek ministry cohesion with all Portland Rescue Mission ministries utilizing other services when necessary.
- Assist in crisis counseling and pastoral care.
- Be a compelling representative of Portland Rescue to all volunteers, donors, churches and partners as opportunity allows.
- Participate in Portland Rescue Mission special events, meetings and retreats.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Alcohol/drug certification (CADC) preferred
- Excellent knowledge of Christian spiritual formation, chemical dependency, addiction recovery and counseling specific to relapse prevention
- Proficient in communication, documentation, organization, scheduling and group and classroom participation
- Experience in Mac and Microsoft Windows software
- Experience in using a database and case notes
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord along with a testimony of growing faith and trust
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards and growing in it through the regular practice of the spiritual disciplines
- Maintain an exemplary Christian life and example in all settings
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- Ability to support and articulate Portland Rescue Mission ministries
- Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
- A pleasant, gentle, grace filled manner toward all
- Prompt and thorough in job performance
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Composed, professional and creative problem solver
- Strong team player and self-starter
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Telephone, fax and voice mail
- Copier and related office equipment
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
- Complimentary beverages (coffee, tea, water) provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Complimentary lunches provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Discounted childcare in onsite Family Life Center as space allows
- Medical, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Employer paid life insurance and long-term disability
- Optional supplemental insurance options
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 6%
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid vacation/sick time starting at 3 weeks per year
- Free parking
- Positive, purposeful, and supportive work environment
- Healthy work-life balance
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.