The Wood Mill Operator 1 is an entry level position, working under supervision of foreman, encompassing the skills of Clean Up and Fireman/Watchman, depending on facility location.
Clean Up/Step Up
• Grease, oil, lubricate, and service the equipment in the following areas throughout the plant and adjacent areas, on daily, weekly, or monthly schedule: Handle Finish Line, Sawmill, Turning, Log Yard, Dry Kiln, Boiler Room, Compressors, & Sawdust Blowers.
• Clean and service the following in the handle finish area on a daily, weekly or monthly schedule: Clean lacquer spray booths, Clean and scrape handle conveyor belts, Clean handle drying conveyor, Clean lacquer at spray station feed rolls, Clean dust from technocrats, Blow down dust in handle finishing department, & Sweep floors.
• Service, change and repair oilers, oil lines, and grease fittings on all equipment as required.
• Report any broken or worn parts or equipment that is observed in performance of duties.
• Manually fires boiler with wood refuse to keep steam supplied for all factory purposes.
• Check water and steam gauges, Check and operate water pumps, Test boiler water daily and add proper chemicals.
• Shake down and fire boiler with wood refuse.
• Clean up boiler, pump, and boiler room. Drain and wash out inside of boiler and fill as required.
• Perform general cleaning and sweeping.
• Direct sawdust flow to boiler or sawdust storage.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
• Must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions and write simple correspondence.
Relevant Work Experience
• No prior experience
• Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality while cutting costs; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works efficiently.
• Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly; wears all required personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Dependability and Attendance – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to work hours, arriving on time, each day; Completes tasks on time.
• Industrial lift truck certification
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand on concrete floor with/without floor mats; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms (which may include above and/or below shoulders); bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to use left and/or right hand for simple grasping; fine work, pushing/pulling and low speed assembly. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Ames offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Tuition Reimbursement, paid holidays & vacation, and more. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.