The Accounts Payable and Travel Expense team is looking for a highly motivated self-starter to join the organization as an Operations Consultant. This role provides opportunity to utilize new technologies including cloud-based applications such as Workday and Coupa, and to collaborate across CNA’s global platform including U.S. Domestic, Canada, Europe and Singapore. It requires a high level of individual contribution for execution of core operations, leading team-based projects, and contributing to a process improvement mindset as we strive to continually improve and creatively leverage the technology to increase efficiency of the team functions. This person will have the opportunity to build relationships across the enterprise, serve as a subject matter expert for our broad customer base, and drive change needed to ensure operational excellence.
Essential Duties Responsibilities
• Assist in leadership of core AP and TE operational responsibilities to ensure effectiveness, optimization of process, and excellence in execution for CNA domestic, Canada, and UK operations:
o Analyzes daily operations to ensure efficient execution of core work flow, pay cycles, integrations, batch feeds, etc. including leading troubleshooting efforts and driving closure of arising issues.
o Assist with safeguarding of CNA assets through strong processes to ensure realization of all vendor early pay discounts, avoidance of duplicate pays, and prevention of fraud.
o Develops and monitors metrics for management; including recommendations on process change and new procedures.
o Identifies operational process improvements and technology optimization opportunities including leading these opportunities to successful closure.
o Act as business lead for implementation of new technology releases or programs/initiatives including accountability for planning, pre-work and collaboration with other business areas across the enterprise including the Canadian and European affiliate teams.
Performs follow-up activities including monitoring the program/initiative success, managing post implementation communications, and change as necessary.
o Provides support across the CNA enterprise to both internal and external customers for the AP TE processes in Workday including but not limited to AP payment processing for hundreds of users and TE expense handling/audits for thousands of users.
o Assist with effective coordination, collaboration, training, etc. with our India offshore team.
o Drive periodic review, update, and maintenance of CNA Global Expense Reimbursement Policy and Accounts Payable Policy.
• Monitors accounting reconciliations and provides recommendations /direction to offshore team on resolving reconciliation issues as well as partnering with the TRECS team to implement process improvements and enhanced automation.
• Participates in regulatory compliance needs in all 50 domestic state jurisdictions for unclaimed property reporting (escheatment) and 1099 tax reporting, including collaborating with the third party vendors who manage these software applications.
• Coordinate team responsibilities for all SOX compliance and audit activity; interact with internal controls group as well as external auditors in support of team’s processes.
• In support of management, coaches and mentors staff at all levels, including offshore India team, in an effort to maximize team efficiency and minimize cost structure.
• Supports management as an agent of change, building collaboration and commitment using innovative ideas and business acumen.
• Shares knowledge and collaborates across functional or geographic areas to share and incorporate learnings to improve business results and to ensure consistency, process excellence, and achievement of desired outcomes.
• Continuously learn and keep current with functional area emerging issues and industry trends including participate in industry functions and working groups as appropriate.
Director or Above
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Advanced technical and operations expertise as well as strong knowledge of the insurance industry, and the organization's practices and procedures.
• Strong interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal or external partners and customers.
• Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple work efforts and projects.
• Ability to collaborate well and lead projects/work efforts across multiple teams to a successful conclusion.
• Ability to coach and mentor staff at all levels.
• Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems with the ability to effectively manage ambiguous situations and issues.
• Ability to identify problems or opportunities and drive/lead initiatives to optimize and improve process.
• Strong knowledge of accounting, Microsoft Office Suite, and other business-related software including Workday application.
• Ability to travel. This is rare but possible to collaborate with the offshore partner team and/or international affiliates in Canada/UK.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor's degree (accounting / finance preferred)
2. Strong technology aptitude and experience required
3. Typically a minimum of five to eight years of related work experience.