This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Assist in providing a safe, caring and enriching environment for school age children. Provide child care supervision, support each student with virtual learning assignments from their school, and deliver the Y’s holistic youth development curriculum.
- HOURLY RATE: Minimum $10.50/hour*
*increases to rates are case-by-case based on experience and education relevant to to the field of youth development
- Ensure the safety and well-being of participants by; knowing participant locations at all times, making participants aware of and enforcing appropriate safety regulations and procedures, applying appropriate behavior management techniques, and maintaining all program equipment and facilities.
- Assist children with school-directed virtual learning.
- Implement group activity plan; preparing materials, activities, and environments
- Consistently demonstrate positive interaction with all children; talk to them and treat them with dignity and respect. Help children to develop a positive self-esteem and sense of self-worth
- Adhere to all processes, procedures, rules and regulations of the YMCA, licensing and school district.
- Positively ID individuals picking-up before releasing children (picture ID necessary until you can personally identify them).
- Identify emergency situations then respond quickly and appropriately.
- Consistently demonstrate positive discipline; teach and redirect rather than scolding or reprimanding; firmly and consistently enforce the rules.
- Work in a team environment and provide open communication regarding concerns/issues with children, parents or co-workers
- Introduce yourself to parents and communicate with them regularly with confidence regarding accurate program information: schedule changes, permission slips, etc.
- Be prompt and dependable to work scheduled hours; providing proper notice for time off and working with supervisor on coverage for day(s) requested off.
- Clean and pick up areas used by the program, as needed.
- All youth development associates are mandated by the state of Kansas and Missouri to report suspected child abuse and neglect and must notify appropriate associates of any suspected abuse, unsafe conditions, needed repairs, complaints, accidents or injuries immediately.
- Minimum age of 18.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum three months experience working with school age children.
- Understanding of and ability to apply principles of quality youth development and programming.
- Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Active engagement with and supervision of children requiring physical stamina, alertness and emotional stability.
- Have a general understanding of and proficiency with computer technology.
AFTER HIRE REQUIREMENTS:
- YMCA of Greater Kansas City new associate training courses within 30 days.
- Tuberculosis Test Risk Assessment and State Health Assessment form within 30 days (in MO).
- Adult/Infant/Child CPR and First Aid training.
- Achieve 16 training hours per calendar year.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The associate needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- The associate frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- May be required to assist in case of emergency situations with program participants related to CPR/First Aid procedures.
- The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.